Well done Westfield parts department

iain m

Good news and bad news.

Good news, telephoned Westfield at 08:25 and immediate response!! 

Bad news, a replacement 5,1/2 inch silencer for my 1800 SEi  £576.17???????

I blew the packing out of the silencer at about 4000 miles, at 8000 miles the baffles were driving me mad at idle and overrun. My local biker garage cut the ends off and its the CAT that's loose and damaged, they suggest repacking and welding up without the CAT but then it will fail the MOT. I have been looking around for many month for a replacement and the safest bet is a factory supply as I have kept the car in it's original factory build. At around £100 to rebuild the silencer would it have any resale value, or should I just scrap it ???

Just my two pence worth, since my visit to the factory open day late last year ive needed a few extra bits from the parts dept, they have responded promtly to emails, answered the phone when ive rung, been honest with parts out of stock (grp products) with eta dates, and sent items delivered next day that have been in stock.

• Like 1

My cat exhaust went rattly within a year of being on the road. I just took it off, fitted a non-cat silencer and will refit the cat one for MOTs

I have looked for some time for a S/H silencer but there are so many engine options I never actually found the right one and bearing in mind there limited life having mine repaired and repacked seemed the best option, I also considered  going non cat and keeping the old one for MOTs but being in my 70s with arthritic knees I will probably be selling in another couple of  summers.

The guys repairing it can MOT the car so they are rebuilding it and will check it on the car to see how it compares with the  somewhat vague MOT regs for kit cars, fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!.