Stone chip arch protectors for extra wide arches

MWMSport

I also would like some for my extra wide FW rear arches, I tried to persuade Mark about a year ago to make me some but he was so busy and to make a mould would take up a lot of his time. I have now found a company near me that can either skin mine or make a pair of moulds, I just need to make my mine up what to do unless someone else has found anybody else making them.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

• Chris King - Webmaster

• Brad Stone

• Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO

Popular Posts

@BigSkyBrad @Brad Stone I have asked the FB Carbon Wizard to give details and prices and which models he is doing them for - the door sill protectors are nice too!  

Mine are SDV Extra wide, and they are around 275mm.    I saw however, there is a bloke on the Westfield Facebook page making and selling these arches which look like they will fit yours give

I live in Milton Keynes and need to go and see Mark about some other body work issues. I have a wide body with extra wide arches also. I will drop in on him next week (assuming he  is back) and m

Posted Images

On 30/12/2019 at 21:31, Brad Stone said:

This would be incredibly useful Steve. 

On 30/12/2019 at 21:16, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Just a thought. I know it's not the clubs job to chase sorn members but couldn't someone who deals with the trade members maybe drop mark an email and try and persuade him back into the fold so to speak? 

As @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary says we aren't exactly flush with choice with carbon suppliers and would be nice to have him back in the club.

I live in Milton Keynes and need to go and see Mark about some other body work issues. I have a wide body with extra wide arches also.

I will drop in on him next week (assuming he  is back) and mention both the rear arch protector situation and membership. Will post how I get on. 

• Like 2
Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

We need to make sure we’re all talking about the same thing here, as FW extended arches and ZK extended arches aren’t the same thing.

Its FW type I believed were the subject of the thread? (I thought ZK versions had been done before, but I can’t recall who by).

Might be worth all those that have expressed an interest confirm definitively whether it’s ZK or FW they are looking for, then we don’t cause any more confusion?

Brad Stone

23 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

We need to make sure we’re all talking about the same thing here, as FW extended arches and ZK extended arches aren’t the same thing.

Its FW type I believed were the subject of the thread? (I thought ZK versions had been done before, but I can’t recall who by).

Might be worth all those that have expressed an interest confirm definitively whether it’s ZK or FW they are looking for, then we don’t cause any more confusion?

I THINK mine is ZK - Perhaps somebody can confirm? 

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary - If ZK have been made before - I sure can't find them! :)

image.png.6bf382f172cb69a9663a52ef60691220.png

Rush Motorsport

ZK (the less ugly rear end)

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/01/2020 at 17:41, johnm100 said:

I live in Milton Keynes and need to go and see Mark about some other body work issues. I have a wide body with extra wide arches also.

I will drop in on him next week (assuming he  is back) and mention both the rear arch protector situation and membership. Will post how I get on. 

Saw Mark this morning. He doesn't currently produce protectors for wide arch cars (any model). He would produce if he had a car to take a mould from. I have a kit body SEIW with wide arches but won't be able to take it to him until April (currently SORN) and don't know if the kit body is the same as ZK in the arch area, and certainly not the same as FW.

But if you have a car and can get to Bletchley then talk to Mark as the impression I got was he was happy to produce some. Do contact him first as he isn't always at the unit. 

I suspect the Kit body ones aren’t the same as ZK, but how much it would affect arch protectors, I don’t know. The main difference that I’m aware of is the mounting alignment blocks, which isn’t relevant!

Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO
On 15/01/2020 at 12:01, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I suspect the Kit body ones aren’t the same as ZK

Correct, the shape of the arch to tub area is different between kit and zk. It's minor and although you can fit zk arches to a kit tub with some fettling when it comes to arch protectors which span across the two parts there will be a 10mm gap on the tub side. Some people have filled this with black silicone and some tried to bend the arch protectors to varying results. Personally if buying a carbon part to fit it needs to fit so I returned mine back in the day when carbon mods brought out arch protectors.

From my experience and talking to carbon mods many years ago there are the following variances:

1. Fixed arch tub

2. Kit tub.

3. Sierra SDV tub.

4. ZK tub.

5. FW tub.

A. Standard width kit arches

B. Extra wide kit arches.

C. Sierra SDV extra wide.

D. Custom extra wide arches.

E. Standard width ZK arches.

F. Extra wide ZK arches.

G. Standard width FW arches.

H. Extra wide FW.

From what I've seen over the years the missing products with demand are B, E, H.

Chris King - Webmaster
5 minutes ago, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

Sierra SDV tub.

5 minutes ago, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

Sierra SDV extra wide.

they're no different to ZK - not sure why they thought otherwise unless at some point in the past for some inexplicable reason they would make a completely different tub for the Sierra SDV - but as the SDV uses the exact same chassis, can’t see it. 

I don’t know for how long it lasted, but from memory, in the days when GRP was done in house at Westfield, I’m sure I remember being told that there were three ZK body bucks, and there were some small differences, depending on which buck your bodywork came from. It meant that what fit perfectly on loads of bodies might not on others. 

37 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

they're no different to ZK - not sure why they thought otherwise unless at some point in the past for some inexplicable reason they would make a completely different tub for the Sierra SDV - but as the SDV uses the exact same chassis, can’t see it. 

Wasn't the Sierra SDV sold around the same time as the "kit" tub and so it will be different to the ZK?

Regarding the rear arches I think you will find they are different. I know this because I've bought both and have a local member with an Sierra SDV...

Standard detachable arches (wide body) are 245mm wide.

Extra wide are 285mm
SDV are 305mm

With so many potential variations,  are the factory able to povide the definitive details ? 

29 minutes ago, neptune said:

With so many potential variations,  are the factory able to povide the definitive details ? 

I'm not sure why they would. They sell two three types currently... ZK, FW, EuroFW. Why would they provide details about stuff they no longer sell? "Kit" body work is like a discontinued line, they have a current product you can buy and will fit older chassis.

Chris King - Webmaster
1 hour ago, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

Wasn't the Sierra SDV sold around the same time as the "kit" tub and so it will be different to the ZK?

Regarding the rear arches I think you will find they are different. I know this because I've bought both and have a local member with an Sierra SDV...

Standard detachable arches (wide body) are 245mm wide.

Extra wide are 285mm
SDV are 305mm

Maybe - as the factory often did do odd things! but my SDV has a std ZK tub and here’s the wide arches complete with carbon mods protectors 😁

2FBB8FCE-B1C1-46CD-81B7-9E6C45858194.jpeg

8CCBC3BD-DBB1-4D61-B443-3B6EEF4F7A8A.jpeg

need a wash but protect well from crud as shown 👍

• Like 1