Cracked Chassis - Diff Cage

Beez

Hi All,

At the last event which was at bumpy North Weald it appeared the fuel tank had shifted sideways and was punctured by one of the roll cage bolts. So I've been out tinkering in the garage getting ready for the 2016 season today with the first job being to repair the hole in the fuel tank.

Simple enough I thought.........but.....It appears the reason for the tank shifting is due to the chassis cracking around the diff cage on all four corners!

Can anyone recommend someone in or around Essex to repair this?

Cheers

Paul

IMAG2193_zps0kk8ap8l.jpgIMAG2198_zpspjuhruft.jpg

Just glad I spotted it now rather that at the first event!

I had both bottom diff mounts break off completely at north weald, causing the front of the diff to go up, locking both the wheels up which was so violent it kicked the bonnet off! North weald is ridiculously bumpy, bound to break something there. Its a notorious weak point on the chassis, i had mine repaired and re inforced

Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary

See if you can incorporate some strengthening gusset/angle plates when you have it repaired

• Like 1

North Weald brings back memories. I sprinted a Mk1 Fiesta there 25 years ago. It was rough then and hard on tyres, so I hate to think what the surface is like now.

Hi guys,

Just had a chat with Paul Lucas at Lenhoy Classics, happens to be a fellow sprinter too. Going to drop it off with him at the end of the month so hopefully will be all fixed (AND reinforced!!) in plenty of time for the 2016 season.

Hoping to make it to Rockingham on the 20th March as I've not been there yet.

Cheers

Paul

Now just need to figure out the 1b tyre situation!

My tank used to creep from side to side.. So to avoid a punctured tank I made up a couple of small wooden blocks and drilled a hole through them lengthwise, then used this hole to cable tie them in place each side..

Whilst at it I also added some extra angle at the front of the tank where it was vulnerable to rubbing on the diff mount...

My tank used to creep from side to side.. So to avoid a punctured tank I made up a couple of small wooden blocks and drilled a hole through them lengthwise, then used this hole to cable tie them in place each side..

Whilst at it I also added some extra angle at the front of the tank where it was vulnerable to rubbing on the diff mount...

I was thinking of doing something like this, I've replaced the foam under the brackets so they should grip it better, but it does feel like some blocks either side would be a good idea to ensure it's not able to move at all.

They were something like 40x40x30mm and sat on the horizontal chassis member just below the nut on that offending cage bolt..

with a cable tie passing through a fore/aft hole and then under that chassis member.. 

Holding a full tank steady at 1G was challenge enough so in the event of a side swipe or curb hit type of accident the tank would almost certainly puncture without better restraining..

But my main reason was to stop the gradual wearing through at the contact point after any rubbing on that bolt..

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd post a few pictures of the Diff Cage repair in case anyone is interested.

Paul L spoke to Westfield, they used to sell a bolt in solution to resolved this exact issue before they improved the newer chassis design. Unfortunately they no longer sell it so Paul has to fabricate it from scratch using a couple of old photos the factory managed to dig out for him. Pretty please with the outcome so should hold up to the mega-abuse now :d

Chassis%201_zpsdrqpitpr.jpgChassis%203_zpsg4fwkzzs.jpgChassis%202_zpsmlvpooet.jpgChassis%204_zpsweatjwch.jpg