Jump to content
Andy (Sycho)

Andy's Mega S2000 upgrades

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Sorry to see , but progression any further as Ian says, the heads coming off. I dont believe pistons are that expensive aftermarket ( as forged pistons go ) and heads can be repaired. Fingers crossed thats all that has happened. 

If it was detonation which caused it, something must be wrong with the injector to run lean or throttle opening larger than the others, which I doubt. Andy, did you have the injectors checked before using them ? 

Agree the next step is head off & no I didn't have the injectors checked. 

I could have them checked now to see if that was the cause.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also worth considering that the difference between perfectly safe running and pre-ignition failure can be as little as 3 degrees ignition advance, so the other cylinders could have been close but not terminal... I always run 98RON for a little extra protection against this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Also worth considering that the difference between perfectly safe running and pre-ignition failure can be as little as 3 degrees ignition advance, so the other cylinders could have been close but not terminal... I always run 98RON for a little extra protection against this 

I ran 98 Ron 99% of the time, could this also be a map problem with the generic Omex map?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Andy (Sycho) said:

I ran 98 Ron 99% of the time, could this also be a map problem with the generic Omex map?

You'd really have to hope not, a generic map should really be quite conservative for 95RON even, unless you had some other problem like very high coolant temperature or a blocked piston cooling jet (if the engine has those) or low fuel pressure or dodgy injector or...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

You'd really have to hope not, a generic map should really be quite conservative for 95RON even, unless you had some other problem like very high coolant temperature or a blocked piston cooling jet (if the engine has those) or low fuel pressure or dodgy injector or...

Thats the thing Mike. Generic maps dont cover fuel pressures differences, injector issues etc, so for an everyday car isnt an issue. Start pushing the envelope of power and track and it can be disastrous for some cars. Every engine is different and that 'may' show with this failure . It maybe sensible to look at not relying too completely in generic 'base' maps.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The S2K does have oil sprays Mike.

The map was deliberately kept safely set for the typical range of standard cars. It got good gains when it was optomised on my car, even though it was mapped on my car anyway, for the generic map.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.