What Radiator?

stephenh

What radiators are people using in XIs? Just the standardc Midget radiator, or an Alloy replica (looks quite expensive) or something else?

It is probably relevant to mention that I'll be using a Peter May big bore "fast road" angine, so quite high powered by "A" series standards.

May be worth contacting Coolex

They've had some good recommendations on here, I had excellent service and knowledgeable advice for my replacement.

I know where I can get one, I just need to make my mind up whether I need an aluminium one, or a standard one. Mind you, alli would be lighter even if it isn't vital for cooling!

Hi, Stephen,

I've built mine with a standard Midget radiator.  My engine is 1275cc + 40thou and runs just over 100bhp on the dyno.  I have only driven the car for initial running in so far and that was OK.  If it struggles once on the road, one of my post IVA jobs is to look to get a vertical alloy rad made, with a less obstructive fan mounting, plus (possibly) an associated oil cooler - already discussed with Lloyd at Allard Alloy Products in Gloucester. 

Thanks for the replies. Bearing in mind that I don't have a radiator at all at the moment, so I need to buy one anyway, I think I'll go for an aluminium crossflow one, as a replica of the standard Midget III one. Peter May offers one at quite reasonable money.

Looks like Peter May is going to get quite a lot of business from me over the next few months!

Is it possible to use a VW Polo one or a Fiat Cinquecento? Both are ally / plastic and cheap

Is it possible to use a VW Polo one or a Fiat Cinquecento? Both are ally / plastic and cheap

Don't think they'll fit, John. The point being that the Westfield XI kit is engineered to take the Midget III one, but canted back at quite an angle to clear the bonnet line. I think if the Polo one fitted, then surely Westfield would use (or recommend) it, bearing in mind it is the one they supply and fit for their various "sevens".