Ste H's Mega S2000 build thread

SteH

Well here goes, my favourite pass time over the last few months has been reading all of the fantastic build threads on the forum, so I'll do my best to document my build as I go along.

All feedback, pointers and general banter gratefully received!

Having spent months pondering over the various 7 type cars available along with the various power train options, with help from you guys on here I eventually realised that building a Westfield ticked most of my boxes. Having looked at other engine options and the costs associated with getting a Zetec or Duratec over or even up to 200bhp, the Honda S2000 engine really made sense to me.

A visit to the factory in July impressed me in terms of the quality of components used in the cars and the backup that should be available from such a well established company. So decision made, I ordered a complete kit. Since July I have been stuck down by upgraditous on a regular basis, with the reasoning that it is cheaper to upgrade some parts now rather than later!! So at this moment the spec stands at:

Mega S2000 kit - white body work - carbon effect front arches

Powder coated panels

LSD - this will be a Mazda unit (the first customer build Mazda LSD chassis!) 3.727:1

Wide track wishbones

Protech shocks

Hispec "Race" front callipers & rear Hispec callipers

Wheel package - 8" rears 7" fronts, 205 T1R's

Digi Dash

Windscreen

FW Rear

MSA half cage

Sport turbo seats - white piping

3" harnesses

Carbon effect stone guards

Black rear diffuser

Heater kit

and the latest edition.......Omex throttle bodies (something for the wife to wrap for Christmas!)

So having ordered the kit at the end of July, delivery should have been end of October, but is now looking like being the middle of this month.

Having spent some time looking for an engine and gearbox from a breaker I decided to buy a complete car instead and hopefully break what I don't need and recover some cash (to spend on more upgrades!)

So here it is, it's a 2003 Cat D write off with 52550 miles on it.

IMG_3752.thumb.JPG.83a4e6b8e4d18d2f9a5ddfb89e059e64.JPG

I bought it in an online auction without seeing it which was somewhat of a risk. Once the car was delivered, I put some fuel in it and charged the battery and to my great relief it fired up and ran really nicely.

IMG_3753.thumb.JPG.af883246263fe1fbb15da1b649aa2d61.JPGIMG_3743.thumb.JPG.94ab191d47f613a415d1b0a5f0601f75.JPG

Once I'd removed some of the bent bits, I was able to take it for a quick drive on the "private" road near where I work. It drove very well, all the gears work and it also does pretty good donuts!

The strip down to follow... 

• Like 2

Great choice, the S2000 appears reasonably well looked after, apart from the obvious.

Hopefully that means the engine's been well looked after too.

Good luck on your journey....

That engine looks in pretty good nick!

Congratulations, on the new build...

Enjoy the build!!

It's true! The most important "tip" I can ever pass on to a new builder, is don't turn it into a job, don't put yourself under impossible pressure, whether it's time scales or quality*. Take the time to enjoy the process, you'll miss it when you're done...

*There's nothing wrong with setting standards for the fit and finish you'd like to achieve, but be realistic as to what you can achieve. While its fantastically rewarding to do a better job than you thought you could, don't paralyse the build by becoming so OCD you set impossible to achieve levels of perfection.

Allow yourself to celebrate the milestones too, rolling chassis, engine in, body on, first start, that sort of thing!

I'm not sure how you'll be working, but if like many, it'll be weekend blasts, then plan. Although some jobs have to be done in sequence, many don't. Nothing is really, really difficult, but there are some fiddly jobs and there are some easy jobs where things happen fast!

When planning what to do at the next weekend, try and give yourself a mix of tasks. For instance, if you know you've got the fiddly and frustrating (sometimes) job of bending and fitting brake/fuel lines, break the task up by stopping and bolting on a front suspension corner or something - a nice straightforward task, that really looks like a big change in the car!

Don't let things overwhelm you by thinking about them as too big a job, break them down into a series of smaller tasks - the manuals are great for this nowadays.

Try and end a days working on a more straightforward job, if you can, so that you leave it on a high. Finish the weekends tasks a little earlier on the Sunday, then just grab a pad of paper and make a rough note of next weekends jobs. Read the manuals, workout how you'll be doing them and what you'll need. Once done, go through your boxes etc and make sure you've got all the parts, fixtures and fittings required, if not, a job for Monday morning! Order anything you'll need, chase them up, if missing.

This includes consumables, silicon, copper grease, polyurethane adhesive, tie wraps, cable clips nuts bolts, washers etc as well as tools. Is there a tool you need to buy, borrow or spend a few days working out how to improvise?  This way, you've got the week to get stuff together before the next build session. Though you won't be human if you don't hit at least one Sunday evening desperately needing some unavailable item to "just finish up". Beer is the answer in these cases....

• Like 2

Speaking of consumables, get yourself an Edding paint filled marker pen with a fine point, in a bright but distinct  solid colour, like blue, or orange etc. Use it to mark nuts and bolts that have been torqued up to their final settings. Ideally, run the paint mark across the nut and the shaft of the bolt at the same time - that way, you see more easily should they work loose in the future.

(Don't use red, it looks like you've marked everything down as fails!!! Likewise, yellow doesn't always show so well).

Get yourself a couple of small bottles of threadlock, one medium strength, sometimes called nut lock, and one high strength, otherwise known as stud lock. They'll look expensive for the size of bottle, but you use such small quantities, even a 10ml bottle lasts for ages.

Get good quality, low tack masking tape, and even then don't leave it on panels too long. Cheap tape left on for three or four weeks can be a devil to get off.

Welcome to our world

+1 on Dave's comments

Looks like a rare valve cover that still has all its paint

• Like 1

You sure don't see many, mind you I thought my valve cover only had s few bubbles and two or three spots where the finish had come off, till I cleaned it - first pass with a hose, (not even a pressure washer) and it looked like a patchwork quilt!!!

Hi Ste,

It was nice to meet you at the factory open day & have a chat.

As Dave says really, don't set a deadline & plan well ahead to make sure you have all the bits. I found that there was nothing more frustrating than not having a part, then having to wait weeks for it to arrive.

But most of all ENJOY!

Andy

• Like 1

Welcome to the club, I too think I met you at the open end and would echo the points also made, I would also add that keeping a build diary also helped me during my build and afterwards. On several occasions when trying to describe an issue for my build diary it enabled me to see the problem more clearly, because to describe the issue logically you need think of it logically and clear other thoughts out of the way.

enjoy the build and enjoy the club, see you around again sometime.

Rhett 

• Like 1

So the next step was to extract the parts that I actually need, the engine and gearbox. With the help of my good friend Will, it took about 6hrs to get the engine and box out. To be fair a lot of that time was spent pondering, tea drinking and eating bacon butties, so we could probably do another one a bit quicker. Essentially the main steps were:

• Disconnect all pipes, wiring etc connected from the car.
  • Unplug the engine wiring loom from the ECU. (Or what actually happened was, spend 30 mins trying to unplug it, loose rag, then hack through it with wire cutters!!)
  • Remove prop shaft
  • Unbolt gearbox mounting
  • Remove 2 of the engine subframe bolts
  • Undo the remaining 4 subframe bolts by about 4" - this lowers the engine so that you can get to the top bell housing bolts from underneath.
  • Remove the gearbox (underneath the car)
  • Tighten subframe bolts back up
  • Undo engine mounts
  • Lift engine out of the top

Up on blocks, then axle stands

IMG_3760.thumb.JPG.a3496432a0a59b440a1e75e60bfbf5dd.JPG

Box out

IMG_3807.thumb.JPG.051a087510059e545f5fe1358a35ac7f.JPG

My son arrived from school for the final glory moment!

IMG_5845.thumb.JPG.a1392fc20920993ed6506bfcd4eca6de.JPG

All ready for a good clean up

IMG_3818.thumb.JPG.0d7f6cdb46cdd43bea3351f34398110c.JPG

Hooray!

IMG_5848.thumb.JPG.b868d023dea1b303b64066fd24f5b722.JPG

A couple of questions spring to mind at this point:

Which "Hondabond" do I need to refit the sump after the baffle is fitted?

Also any tips on where's best/cheapest to buy genuine Honda parts like gaskets, seals etc?

I have got smaller one which I brought direct from honda in Swindon in the end