Wheels and Tyres

stephenh

I think I'm getting there! MWS. offer a Minilite replica (so has to be called a Minilight, as the manufacturer doesn't have rights to the Minilite name) from the JBW Classis range in 5.5"x13" for the bargain price of £69.56 each (£278.26 for 4) including VAT! Unfortunately they won't do these in yellow, for that you have to buy their genuine Minilites, at almost twice the price. However they are available in black, gold or silver. I was thinking of gold, but I'm beginning to think silver might be better, and more traditional.

The centres are drilled/machined specifically for Midgets/Sprites so no problem there, and the offset is ET25mm., which I'm hoping, when fitted with 175/60 tyres, won't need much restriction in the steering lock.

I suspect at that price we won't be getting much "bulk buy" discount for 8 wheels, Nick!

I followed Mark Walker's advice and bought MG Midget "Minilight" alloys at 5Jx13" (easily found on ebay) and I have Kumho Solus tyres in 165/70x13.  I have only driven the car 70 miles during an initial shakedown on an airfield but, running at 20psi, all seemed fine.  I tend to prefer quite small tyres (dating back from club rallying days when I ran my BMW 2002 Tii on 185/60 tyres compared to a mate who ran 205/60s.  My 2002 was progressive near the limit rather than "grip and let go").  The Eleven hung on well, changed direction and stopped with no bother.  As I was only using half throttle and 3,000rpm, there was no chance to "push the envelope".

I actually believe that I have room to spare on full lock under the arches so I will be steadily reducing the size of the limiting tubes in the rack (I had nylon ones made as I didn't like the idea of the thin steel tube ones, supplied with the kit, bashing into the aluminium ends of the rack) to get as much steering lock as possible.  With the Westfield dimensioned limiting tubes, I have a turning circle of about 18m, so will need the limited slip differential on mini roundabouts!

That's interesting, Sunbeam, and helpful.

The nominal depth of your tyres is 115.5mm. (165x70%), and the nominal depth of the tyres I plan on using (175/60) is 105.0mm., or 10.5mm. less rolling radius than yours, so from that point of view I shouldn't have a problem. The issue of width is a bit of a red herring, because it depends on offset, but I believe it shouldn't be a major issue.

I thought when I spoke to Mark Walker a week or two ago about lock, and bodywork fouling, that he said to use nylon steering rack stops, so maybe the factory advice/ kit has changed in this respect. No doubt all will be revealed when I collect my kit, which is now scheduled for the end of January. I'm just trying to get as much as possible (both in acquiring parts and planning my options) so that when i do have the kit I can crack on with what will hopefully be a reasonably quick build.

Try Superlite wheels in Gloucester

Exactly the same choices as Midland Wheels, John as far as I can see!! If I go for genuine Minilites, I can also have yellow, but I can have JBW Classic Minilights for half the price if I put up with the limited choice of colours!

There's a powder coating company in Milton Keynes that will powder coat a new alloy any colour you like for £20 a wheel. Happy to give you the number if its useful?

Barny.

My problem then, Barny, is getting the wheels and tyres there and back. All extra expense.

I think the idea of yellow wheels is one that initially appeals, but might not be so great in the long run. I'm tempted to go for straight forward metalic/silver.