Wheels and Tyres

stephenh

So, I've ordered my new XI kit. I've bought a type 9 gearbox (broken!) for Steve Perks to rebuild for me. I've agreed to buy a 1275 engine for Peter May to invest lots of my hard earned money on, and I've agreed to buy most of the rest of the MG bits which I will need, so I can get everything refurbed and modified ready for the actual build. One thing I haven't got is any wheels and tyres.

Anyone got an old set off a Midget (any condition) which I can use during the build?

Also, what wheels and tyre size do people use on these cars? I was thinking of 6"J x 13" rims, will they fit? If so what offset and what wheel centres (ie pcd and nut seat angle) do I need?

Also, what tyre size? will 185/70 fit? I think Kumho offer their V70A trackday tyre in that size? Not sure what is available if I have to go down to a 175/70 or 175/60.

• Like 1

Stephen, apparently part of the fun of driving one of these is to use nice hard van type rubber, so you can get it sliding nicely around the corners.  :d  :d  :d  with very little BHP. Sticky trackday tyres might be frowned upon by the purists   :o  :oops:

Well Nick, the V70A tread pattern isn't wildly different at a casual glance to the old Dunlop green spot, so in medium rubber could be just the job. The green spot was the tyre of choice at Le Mans etc., in the early 1960s if I remember correctly.

Also depending on timing I might have some build wheels for you.

Also depending on timing I might have some build wheels for you.

That would be great, Nick; I'm looking at February/March time!

MWS (Midland Wheel Supplies) in my village do a good range of classic alloys

Thanks John. I think they are the same company which as an option, and for extra money, will finish them (Minilite replicas, that is) in yellow.

What I don't yet know is whether they can supply them in the right offset and right pcd stud drilling for a Westfield XI. And as I don't yet know what I need in the way of wheels to fit, I can't ask them. However, it would be one of the last things to be needed, I'll just have to be patient, which I find very hard to do!!

Defo go for Minilite style!!!!

They also do a nice period Dunlop style replica

Stephen, maybe a bulk buy of 8!!

Like the idea of the Lotus ones but sure they Are a fortune?

I'm not sure which is the Dunlop style replica to which John is referring? They do a replica of the production Mini Cooper "S" wheel, in alloy (the original was steel) but I think that is only available in 10" dia.

I fancy the JBW Minilite, which is available in both 5.5"x13" and 6"x13", with a pcd which I think may be correct, but I will check that with Mark Walker when the time comes.

I'm not sure which is the Dunlop style replica to which John is referring? They do a replica of the production Mini Cooper "S" wheel, in alloy (the original was steel) but I think that is only available in 10" dia.

I fancy the JBW Minilite, which is available in both 5.5"x13" and 6"x13", with a pcd which I think may be correct, but I will check that with Mark Walker when the time comes.

http://www.midlandwheels.com/Shop/P-2798-5.5-x-13-JBW---D1-Black---4x108.html

• 2 weeks later...

Think I've sussed out the tyre situation!

Mark Walker tells me that the factory only use/recommend 165/70x13" tyres on 5" rims. Anything wider is in danger of touching the bodywork on full lock, so would likely need "stops" adding to each end of the rack.

However, Kumho V70A's are available in 175/60x13", in 3 rubber mixes, the medium being the one for me! I'm thinking that although the nominal tread width is 10mm. wider than the tyres the factory recommend, the rolling radius is nominally 10.5mm. smaller, so if I can get the offset spot on I might just get away with using the Kumhos without needing the lock stops, or at worst I'd only need slight restriction on the steering lock.

Why bother you might ask, well I can't find any trackday tyre in 165x13" whereas several makes (including my favoured Kumhos) are available in 175x13"

Just need to sort out the ideal offset for a 5.5" rim, and the job's a goodun!