Zetec stat housing too tight to bulkhead?

GRBBONGO

Ok thanks guys for all the advice. I was a little wary about the race line rail as I've read a few posts regarding them to cause some sort of problems due to the thermostat being so far away from the head or something.

Although it looks as though plenty of them are being used successfully out there so it's just a case of making sure it's plumbed in properly I guess.

very much so down to the plumbing. its probably not a huge amount further from the head than in the normal housing. find that post where scott linked to the WSCC mag article on it.

• Like 1

The retroford one works fine. No overcooling problems at all unless it not plumbed in right. Don't dismiss it.

Hi Terry

Thanks for the advice.

It's a difficult choice as there does seem to be so much conflict, especially over the race line setup from past threads I've read.

Is there a link or pic on how to plumb the reto ford rail in. I have a pre existing expansion tank on the bulkhead at the moment. Does it utilise this like the standard set up or does it use a catch tank?

Thanks

The retroford one works fine. No overcooling problems at all unless it not plumbed in right. Don't dismiss it.

i didn't like the way the guy on the phone explained its method of operation. maybe its changed or he was bad at explaining it but the impression I got was that it essentially backed up the coolant in the head till was hot enough to open the stat at which point it then dumped the colder coolant from the rad into the engine which in turn closed the stat and people saw a sort of yoyo till the whole system was up to temp. this is mitigated by putting a hole in the stat whereas the raceline has a 16mm take off in the rail before the stat which can be used to put the closed stat circuit into the water pump and mimicked the original system somewhat closer. given the cost difference between the two was negilgable i went to for raceline one

I also like the way it contours to the head a bit more.

the raceline issues were from incorrect fitting simple as that. although some use it with no expansion tank you can use your existing one or relocate it. I have an expansion tank in mine and its fine.

http://forum.wscc.co...ssue-five-2009/

• Like 1

Hi Dom

Thanks for that link. Very informative and looks fairly straight forward. Could be swaying back towards this setup now.

Thanks again everyone.

• Like 1

I have had a Raceline waterrail for years, fitted the same way as in that article and I have no problems whatsoever.

• Like 2

Just in case it's any use, you can see some poor photos of my blacktop thermostat install here http://westfieldsportscar.co.uk/cooling.html

It's tight but does fit, this was a 2006 build though so things may have changed but I can't imagine they would have modified the mounts so that it wouldn't fit.  If they changed the chassis and engine mounts at some point, could it be you have new mounts on an older chassis or older mounts on a newer chassis?

It's a 97 build and originally fitted with a silver top so I imagine all the mounts should be in the correct places. I could possibly squeeze the original stat housing back on if I maybe looked at fitting thinner rubber mounts, as I think this would maybe be enough to angle it away from the bulkhead a touch. Although I'm really pleased with the Land Rover mounts I have fitted as there is next to no movement from the engine so in two minds what to do. Will have another look this weekend and make some sort of decision.

Dombanks, you spot on with the hole in the stat to stop it opening and closing of the stat. This is same as the race line installation is it not?

Bongo, I do have some pics somewhere will dig them out for you.

There is a 16mm take off terry before the stat. It can be used to plumb in a heater and them return to the pump.

Interestingly the stat they supplied does have a small hole in the metal ring around the middle. It looks part of the original pressing not been drilled in. I only noticed when I was draining the system a few weeks back.

Where did you get the dipstick tube from terry? It's much different to either of the two I have.

What's the big metal bit by the filler cap on the top of the head

I don't have a heater in mine does this matter. I'm guessing I just disregard the heater pipe work on the above diagram?

yes just send the pipe straight to the bottom hose connection. instead of through the heater.

this is the only pic i have of how mine was before i took the engine out. bear in mind my expansion tank is in the nose

E523BD8F-AA44-459F-AD99-CC1AB8C9F34B-409