Drat and Double Drat.............

McDuff

wobbly gear lever extension??

spanner left somewhere where you can hear it but not see it???

OK I give up too  :laugh:

Nut loose behind the wheel?

Ok, final clue,   it is definitely a part that will need replacing before the car can run again,   and definitely not a "nut loose behind the wheel"   (that's no way to describe the driver, even if it is largely accurate!)

• Like 1

You forgot to secure the starter motor?

Close but no cigar, stupid starter motor isn't disenguaging, tracked it down with a screwdriver listening to everything, disconnect and removed starter motor. Then bump started car and it's as quiet as a Westfield can be.

Well done KMD , you were close.

Now the starter has seized, my question is this:  I have seen adverts for high torque starters with 12 teeth or 11 teeth etc etc.

Which type of starter would be right for my Detroit CVH with lightened flywheel?  Would any CVH starter be suitable?   I guess whatever has worked in the past on your own car Tricky,  would be the one to go for?