Drat and Double Drat.............

McDuff

Well ,  the Westie has just about reached the point where she will be ready for next Monday's MOT .

The Detroit 1.9L CVH is in place,  high capacity fuel pump installed,  new exhaust fitted,  missing clutch bushing  replaced,  a host of electrical upgrades completed,  replacement seats and new thermostatic switch together with inline sensor installed etc....

BUT,  started engine, which sounds beautiful, idles well, and on a short test drive, behaved very well indeed.  A tribute to former owner Tricky's skill and ingenuity.

However,  somewhere in the region of the bell housing , there is a rasping clattering noise that is very evident at low revs.

This makes me nervous !  I am at a loss to diagnose and fix the problem, and it doesn't seem a good idea to drive it any further until this issue is resolved .    HELP!

On the plus side,  The cutch engages normally,  and all gears are easily selected both when car stationary and when moving.  The engine idles easily and starts easily.

I will check to see if there is a change in the noise when clutch is depressed tomorrow in case the clutch lever has become dislodged during engine swap.

I looked underneath and could not see any scarfe or bright metal where the bell housing is open and the bottom of the flywheel can be seen.

Could it be something catching on the flywheel or clutch cover, if so what?

How about release bearing?

Could it be the starter motor not disengaging fully(doubt this since it starts engine easily and would make a very noise if at fault I would think.)?

Any help, advice etc most welcome. 

I really, really don't want to take engine out again,  but may have to I suppose.  (Not a prospect I relish in my 60's and with colder weather soon.) 

Does it stop when you put your foot on the clutch?

It could be the release bearing, but I'm afraid it looks like you might have to take it out again.

Thanks , will check tomorrow morning. Could it need a different type of bearing?  

But,  If it makes no difference at all what else might it be? 

If you depress the clutch and the noise goes away, don't worry, nothing is wrong it's the release arm rattling around. A lot of us have persistent arm rattle at idle.

If the rattle or other noises persist with the clutch depressed and when driving, then yes you have more work to do.  Another member recently had his release bearing become detached from the release arm and that meant engine out time.

Thanks again,  I did read on a Ford Capri forum that sometimes an alternative type of release bearing is required,  but don't know if this is relevant in my case.

JW

Depressed clutch while engine running,  noise still there...................so engine out I guess.

Cannot believe relatively straightforward job has come to this..........

Before you do that, please check round with a large screwdriver with the handle pressed to your ear to narrow down the source of the noise both from above, both sides and below with the engine ticking over.

It does sound like the release bearing has come out/loose from the release arm or the fulcrum pin is loose/broken.    This thread had very similar symptons to yours.  http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/115772-xe-to-type-9-transmission-noise-on-overrun/?hl=release+bearing

Hope you have a warm garage to work in, at least you have the time.

I had a really horrible occasional screech noise like this.

Luckiky I noticed the clutch cable was really slack adjusted it to have a small amount of tension noise cured!

Well............................................... It wasn't the clutch, or the flywheel, or the release arm, or the release bearing, or the clutch cable. 

It was the, enter stage left McDuff for the answer.  :suspect:

With considerable help from Tricky , who's diagnostic skills are fast becoming legendary, the Westie was launched on it's first proper test flight today !    

As related above,  any body care to guess at the cause of the mysterious and elusive mechanical noise?