Alloy pre-litigation Westfield Sevens

1WestfieldSeven

Hello,

I am looking to correspond with anyone who has, had or knows of any alloy pre-litigation Westfield Sevens.  A goal is to put together a register of these cars.  Any leads would be helpful.  Thanks.

Michael 

Hi Michael,

I've just purchased an almost unstarted alloy bodied pre-litigation kit, chassis number JB W7 35 and just starting researching what I need to proceed with the build. A register sounds like a great idea!

I would love to have a good look over a pre lit car, I'm in Buckingham, but happy to travel.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Gary

Gary,

Thanks for the note.  I'd be happy to have you look at my car, but there is one minor problem - I'm on the other side of the Pond.  If you'd like I can send you photos of areas of the car that are of interest.  Please note, my car is the first alloy seven built.  It was built by the factory as a demonstrator and press car.  The car appears in several period road tests and a couple of books on Westfields.  

Best regards,

Michael

Hello Michael,

I have a later alloy bodied pre-lit, with Ford oily bits (and they are oily!).  I'm happy to send details for your register.

Regards, Geoff

Steve Brehaut in Guernsey has one I believe but is not a member if you pm me your email address I can forward your details to him if he wants to put it on your register 

• Like 1

Thank you Geoff and Aerodynamix.  I have sent you both private messages.  Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Michael,

Have you had any more contact from alloy bodied pre lit owners? It would be great to know how many there are around and see if we can get a few together.

Started on my 'build' now by stripping out the front and rear suspension for  paint stripping and re painting.

Regards

Gary

Although I don't own one, please keep me on the circulation list for any list you compile - thanks.

Welcome Gary,, any relation to Dick Tipping who used to work for Shanks in the 80's? 

best regards

James 

Hi James,

Thanks for your welcome. As far as I know, I'm no relation to Dick Tipping. Just getting going on the car, currently preparing to get some protection on the underside.

Regards

Gary

My impression is alloy Westfield Seven owners as a group choose to fly below the radar.  Of the 132 cars built, I have, to date, a tentative list of about 23 alloy cars.  I've identified this handful of cars through people with cars contacting me, individuals sending me leads and combing old classified ads.  I've developed a questionnaire for the alloy cars and would be happy to send a copy to anyone who owns a car or knows the owner of one. 

Gary, good luck with the build.

Michael

I would imagine that the bulk of the 132 ( is this the figure plucked from the Westfield Story book?) ali bodied 7's reside in Japan.

There are maybe one or more hanging from the rafters in people's garages. :)

• Like 2

The 132 is taken from the Robinshaw/Bouckley Westfield book.  I communicated with Paul Robinshaw, and he said he got his figures from factory records.  Unfortunately, according to Chris Smith, all of the early factory records were destroyed after he sold the business.  It is interesting to note that there is little information on the alloy cars in the club magazine/newsletter.  Even by 1988 most interest in Westfields was with the SE and later models.  The club should be commended for archiving the newsletters online.  This is a boon to researchers and Westfield fans.

I nearly bought one and hindsight still sort of wish I had but it would've been my first Westfield.

I can ask if he still has it for the records?