Westfield Sprint Car - SOLD

stephenh

The time has come to sell my Westfield sprint car.

This is an opportunity to buy a truly ready to go competitive sprint car which benefits from having had an engine re-build and upgrade by Northampton Motorsport in March of this year, at a cost of in excess of £8,000. In 6 seasons of sprinting this car has never let me down mechanically. Alternatively, by changing to a larger fuel tank it would make the ultimate trackday car.

Chassis:

Standard Sport 2000

Steering by Westfield rack, competition mountings, short competition steering arms.

Suspension is standard rear wishbones, factory wide track front. Dampers are Protec alloy spec'd and supplied by Procomp Motorsport. Factory rear anti-rollbar, Playskool front anti-rollbar. Suspension setup by Procomp Motorsport.

Westfield alloy uprights, Westfield competition brakes, with 4 pot front callipers and front vented discs.

7” x 13” Prorace 1.2 black wheels on the front and 8” x 13” Compomotive CXR wheels, black, fitted with 215/55x13” Avon supersoft ZZRs all round.

Body:

Standard factory Sport 2000 Post Office red bodywork, with Aerodynamix carbon fibre aeroscreen, carbon effect rear light clusters and carbon effect lightweight dash. Dash 2 electronic display (factory fitted). Dash mounted FIA cutout switch.

JK Composite seats; double skinned, and a special order low back seat for the passenger.

SPA small lightweight wing mirrors.

Small headlights.

CSR style carbon fibre front wings.

CarbonMods carbon fibre lightweight nosecone, fitted with Mickmade carbon fibre front splitter and canards.

Playskool Motorsport lightweight full safety cage.

Engine:

This is essentially the original engine as fitted by Westfield new, when I bought the car from the factory, built to my order. I took delivery on 4th. March 2008. Note, this wasn't a reconditioned engine, Factory built Duratecs have new engines from Ford Power Products. However the engine has been much modified, and its present spec is as follows:2ltr. Duratec on standard crank, but carefully balanced, and SBD keyway mod. Lightweight flywheel, by Raceline. Titan drysump kit, Carillo steel conrods, Supertec forged pistons.ARP flywheel bolts, crank pulley bolts, main bearing cap bolts and big end bolts. Cylinder head gas flowed by Simon Armstrong of Ultimate Performance, and camshafts also by Ultimate Performance, fitted with vernier pulleys.

If you don't know who Simon is, try visiting www.ultimatep.com after which I think you'll agree there isn't anyone better qualified for the job.

The engine still runs on the KMS tapered throttle bodies, as used at the time by Westfield, and the KMS ecu. The entire exhaust system was built for me by Matt Simpson, Simpson Race Exhausts, to dimensions supplied by Simon Armstrong.

Engine was rebuilt to something like the above spec by Northampton Motorsport, and re-mapped by Troy Robinson. The work was completed on 17th. March 2011, and subsequently I had a precautionary engine rebuild at Northampton (when the dry sump conversion was carried out) in March 2015. A copy of the detailed invoice for this re-build will be supplied to any serious interested parties.

On 29th. April 2015, the car was checked (following the March re-build) on The NMS rolling road, and was found to be making (at the flywheel) 272 bhp at about 8,750 rpm, and 181 lbs/ft of torque at about 6,400 rpm. Of more practical relevance, the torque exceeds 150 lbs/ft from 4,500 rpm right through to the red line of 8,950; and the power exceeds 250 bhp from 7,400 rpm through to approx. 9,000 rpm. Graphs will be provided to serious interested purchasers.

Is it reliable? Yes, I've never had any trouble, I haven't even taken the plugs out. Just changed the oil filter and oil very regularly, and only used Millers fully synthetic triple ester competition oil .

Transmission:

Uprated competition clutch fitted by NMS in March 2011.

Gearbox is based on a Ford type 9 5 speed 'box, but everything other than the casing was built new for me by Steve Perks (SPC transmissions) in November 2012. full details of ratios etc will be supplied to serious potential purchasers, but briefly it is Steve Perks own design of straight-cut close ratio gear set, on his design of fully needle roller main shaft and synchromesh engagement.

The prop shaft was made for me, at the same time, by Bailey Morris.

The diff is a Ford Sierra based diff. However it has been rebuilt by Bara Motorsport with 4.44 crown wheel and pinion set, new in June 2013 and at the same time a ZF plated LSD unit was fitted

Fuel tank is a small sprint tank made by Alloy Racing Fabrications, with a separate swirlpot, and 2 fuel pumps, so no risk of fuel starvation unless you run out of fuel completely.

That's about all I can think of, and having done so I'm wondering if I've under priced the car in view of how much I've spent!

I'm asking £16,000 or near offer.

That's about all I can think of, and having done so I'm wondering if I've under priced the car in view of how much I've spent!

Don't worry, that's normal :d:(

Lovely car this, best of luck with the sale.

• Like 1

For the amount of quality kit on this car its a bargain. You couldn't buy the parts for this amount

only seen it a couple of times and made be drool each time

That really is a great car for anyone thinking of going sprinting next year.  If I hadn't already spent so much on the megabusa and a few too many cars I would be buying this for next year.

Sorry to see that you are selling Stephen as you will be missed from the paddock.

A fantastic car, and a great price for the spec. All the kit in one complete package ready to go competitively sprinting.

Good luck with the sale Stephen.

Your too young to stop the sprinting Stephen and its a great car

• Like 2

I realise that although my advert. made the point that the engine was a new crated engine supplied by Ford to Westfield when they built the car for me in 2008, I didn't say what mileage it has done since then.

In the first 12 months the car remained more or less a fast fun road car, and did 2,809 miles, all on the road except for one trackday at Mallory Park. In the next 2 years, the car did 4997 miles, much of it on the road, but with some trackdays and some sprinting and hillclimbing.

In March 2011, the engine was rebuilt and substantially upgraded to more or less its present spec, and from then on it was used less and less on the road, but did more trackdays, and more sprinting. From March 2011 to now, the car has done a further 2069 miles. So in summary, the car, and the engine, have done a total of 9,875 miles from new. The gearbox and the diff. crown wheel and pinion set and LSD considerably less.

John, reference the cost of parts, the gearbox cost about £1,850 the crown wheel & pinion and LSD about £1,500 and the Titan dry sump system over £2,000, and I daren't tell you how much all the engine parts have cost, never mind labour! The nosecone was £585 only 6 months ago.

The car has been maintained more or less "regardless of cost". It certainly is not a show car, it shows the effects of 6 years of sprinting, but with that qualification I honestly do not think you will find a more complete and "ready to go" sprinting package.I even did an oil and filter change less than 2 weeks ago! The buyer will get the benefit of new carbon CSR style front wings and a new left hand wing stay since the wing stay cracked last weekend at Anglesey.

At the moment, I want other club members to have the chance to bid for the car, but after my last weekend at Anglesey in 3 weeks time, if I don't by then have a firm offer, it will go on Piston Heads.

I'll try and post some pictures in the next day or two, although I think most potentially interested parties on this site will be quite familiar with the car.

It's a stunning, stunning car.

I will really miss our personal Stephen Cup Championship and our battles over the years Stephen , believe me this car is in immaculate condition with top spec and a very very fast Duratec engine all the best with the sale .

I cannot for the life of me work out how to post a photograph on here!

If you can email them to me I'll get them up for you. Fire me a PM if that would be of use :)

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o765/We5tf1eldman/Westfield%20Advert%20004_zpsucdxqmni.jpg?1442218286685&1442218288198

I think the above may be a link to my photobucket site. I'm really not sure! but if it takes you there and if you are interested, then scroll through the photos. some will have the car with the black carbonfibre nosecone on, which was fitted earlier this year. That is what the car is being sold with. Some will have the red glassfibre nosecone, which is no more after a Ferrari reversed into it at Rockingham earlier this year. However other than the nosecone the photos with the red nose show the car pretty much as it now is.

Further edited to say that I can see 2 other material differences:

First, the old photos show an Elite sequential 'box gearlever. tHAT 'box came out and was replaced with the new Steve Perks gearbox, when I changed from Speed Series class F to class D. Secondly, about the same time, the driver's side Westfield 4-point harness came out and was replaced with a 3" webbing Playskool 4-point harness, as seen in the recent photos.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.