what to do next

Evo,s 7SE

sent my starter motor to a well known and expensive retailer for repair it has been repaired and sent back by tnt courier

they say it's been delivered without a signature

and tnt are speaking to the driver who allegedly delivered it

my problem is I'm supposed to be going to the manc rolling road day on Saturday

am I within my rights to ask the retailer to supply me a usable starter if mine can't be found before sat

or a new one to replace lost item

If it hasn't been delivered and they cannot show a signature, stick to your guns and push for new like for like replacement.

Unless I've read wrong then it was the courier that lost the starter not the retailer, so why should the retailer be the one compensating for TNT's mistake?

Unless I've read wrong then it was the courier that lost the starter not the retailer, so why should the retailer be the one compensating for TNT's mistake?

The retailer is responsible for the delivery not the courier , they employ the courier to provide the service.  You complain to the retailer then they complain to the courier.  Either way you have not received what you paid for!!

As above - the contract of sale is with the retailer, so it's up to them to sort you out then chase the courier. There are no guidelines as to what is a 'reasonable' amount of time for the customer to wait though...

As a retailer, this situation sucks, because you spend so much time faffing about trying to get stuff like this solved, then you get shafted in the end anyway (courier won't compensate properly for loss, customer ends up with a duplicate delivery being sent out usually).

I would badger TNT for an answer yourself, realistically that is going to be the fastest way to get this solved. The retailer won't have the time / inclination to do it. It can be escalated to a claims manager who should get it sorted within half a day (IME - unless TNT are ****e!).

tnt have delivered the item somewhere and left it without a signature

brise have said they have told them to claim Nd brise reckon they only get 10quid per kilo as its too expensive to insureproperly

brise are going try to get me something out so I can get there on Saturday but ultimately it's there problem and I want a brand new replacement

Yeah, we get stuff like that all the time, and our courier is £12 per kilo. Going rate is about £7-10 for additional compensation, which is why people don't put it on...

Ultimately someone needs to badger TNT to get in touch with the driver, go back to where he delivered it and sort it out.

that's if it's still there

we'll see what brise come up with but I've made. few calls a do might be able to borrow a starter for Saturday if brise don't come up trumps

brise are sending me a starter they have built for me so everything should be good see if the different courier can deliver it

I use couriers a lot in one of my businesses. 

I've had problems with TNT in the past (amongst other couriers too) with non delivered items. On the two occasions parcels didn't arrive with me, it was a stand-in driver doing holiday cover who could not find the address and just marked it as delivered with a totally made up signature, and either nicks or bins the item (very likely bins it - how many people want 10 pieces of aluminium angle in 10mmx25mm in a massive 3metre tube?). I know it was made up each time as I live in a large listed building of flats in the middle of nowhere and we all know each other. He claimed he "delivered" to a trusted neighbour of mine in the building, and then signed with a totally made up name.  My regular TNT driver told me it happens with holiday cover. 

I never received the missing parcels. The supplier took the cost and sent replacements with another courier.

I send out a lot of high-ish value packages and I don't insure them The vast majority make it to their destination and the risk is far outweighed by the money saved on insurance. I've not lost a parcel yet. Insurance is around £20 on top of the £13 courier cost. I can lose a fair few parcels and still be quids in. As it stands - they have all got there so far (TNT and UPS)

I've had a few of the dodgy signature type deliveries, when calling the couriers, who I'm convinced no full well what's happening, even if they don't condone it, I usually just ask for the time the delivery was made so I can playback the CCTV and check who signed/where it was left/whatever the exscuse of the day was. Without fail all the couriers I've used it on, have immediately rolled over and a clerical error or some such has suddenly been discovered, "we'll reschedule for tomorrow sir!"