Dilema - 911 or not?

peet

I keep thinking along these lines and have tried scratching the itch with a Honda S2000 & a BMW Z4, both great car's but they just ended up sitting on the drive and I jumped in my normal road car most of the time ie Audi A8 4.2 v8D have ended up going through a whole range of race cars over recent years and had far more fun / mileage out of them that any of the road-cars. If you buy them right you can often sell for same money after a year and have a lot of fun. Current DJ Firehawk is some car as anyone that saw it at Blyton will remember and the buzz from driving that quickly is something else. I'd rather drive that for 6 minutes at an event than a Porsche for 6 hours on the road.  :d  :d  :d

I know of at least one owner of a 911, paying a huge amount per month for the privilege,  who had, shall we say "a moment" on a track day.

The wreck has sat in his garage for nearly two years now, as he can't afford to repair it, and can't afford to pay it off to sell it on as is. Trouble is, the payments were so high, he can't even afford to collect second hand repair parts over time.

He really needs to bite the bullet and get rid. Going to be painfull but you need to move on.

I had a friend who had both an E-Type Jag and a 911, trouble is he only ever went one place in them, home. He was that worried about them he would never leave them any where. He would go for the odd drive but in the end that was rare.

When you are really pushing yourself to purchase an exotic then you need to take this into account, the greater its relative value to you the greater the concern you have about leaving it somewhere especially when you take into account that Westis tend to get a positive response and Exotics a negative.

There is another adage that is true, don't think you can run a classic exotic if you can't run a new one, they tend to get more expensive to run not cheaper. 

Had a few different cars over the years, mainly Jaguars but soon got bored with them.  I've now had the Westfield for 4 years but I'm not bored with that at all, always an occasion when you go for a drive.  

Why buy a 129,000 mile 964 with a targa roof when you could have one of these for the same money with 19,500 miles on it, and a better top down experience?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/boxster-987-05-12/absolutely-stunning--porsche-boxster-s-sport-with-only-19000-miles/4630591

• Like 1

Nice! Looks really good, but it don't think I could shake the 'aimed at ladies' stigmatism - probably just me though! :d

Still rather the 964, that should go up in value the Boxster only down.

100% tho sticking with Westys now...

Itch'll go away - don't think i'll be missing out on too much - and Westys are far scarier and fun!

Personally its not appealed a lot, but then again a 944 appears a lot, so it might just be that I am odd!

Might have to start a thread of my own as I could do with a new car too....

Daniel

My mate sold a duratec Westfield for a 911. 2 years later engine goes bang and £20k budget to repair..... Ouch!

Can't you hire one for a week or two?  One of the classic car hire companies might just have one.... 

I have friends I can borrow from but now I've said how I feel to them too they say stick with what makes you happy - so Westys here to stay!

To be honest I feel relieved IF that makes any sense??

Prob try/buy a Megablade one day in the not too distant future tho!

I sold my Westfield to buy a 996 Carrera 4 and don't regret it in the slightest. That's despite it needing an engine rebuild, which I'm going to go over the top with. I've done the same mileage in the 911 since December as I did in Westfield in three years. That speaks for itself really.

For me the ideal two car garage (assuming a third estate car also!) would be a 911 Turbo S and a Westfield MegaS2000. Perhaps one day.

Haha yes it is a good job my garage is a single. Spotted a poor 944 convertible today needed saving on a neighbours drive...!

I couldnt afford a 996 Turbo only a n/a 996 and having tried it I was underwhelmed versus my Westy so Westy is safe for now..

I followed a newish 911 turbo & a 944 turbo yesterday & I would say the westy was as quick if not quicker.

Glad you're keeping the Westie Peet.

I love the whole 911 thing and one day I will own one (hopefully) and as an engineering statement very little else gets close on 4 wheels.

But I can't see how you will get the same feeling as you do in the Westie. They are just a hoot.

And personally (and each to thier own) taking a loan to invest in a motor which you would also want to drive is quite risky. The chance of something happening to it would take the edge of the fun.