Anyone know this one?

Andy - a15cro

I saw the blue XE and it looked good, Somerset is a long way to go to be disappointed though.

If £8k is your budget, I think it is safe to say you can discard Duratec from your want list

So if that's the case, the TVR Glen one at £5k used as a donor for a new build works then? Making the final budget under 10k spread out over say 1 year? It's got a Duratec and seats, etc? If it's on a new build will no longer be cat c? I get the pleasure in building one myself, or is it still a can of worms? Surely some of the bits could be sold on that I would be doubling up on?

Edited by a15cro

Can of worms, UNLESS you can find out definitively exactly what had happened to it from the previous owner and could ascertain the bits you wanted shouldn't have been damaged in whatever incident caused it to be written off. Then it's down to how well stored and treated it's been since. 

ie has it, as is often the case in insurance write off Westfields been left out in the elements at the breakers. Has someone started it to prove it runs, prior to checking engine condition, fluids etc. a lot of variables there. It might be fine, it might not.

Frankly, £5k spent wisely would buy you an awful lot of decent bits.

I should add, there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying a well repaired Cat C/D vehicle - at the right price. You get more car for your money than you would otherwise, accepting that when it comes time to sell, you'll get that bit less too.

But the whole system relies on full and frank disclosure from whoever repaired it as to what the problems were and what work was done. That's what gives the confidence in any potential buyers down the road - they can see what state it was in, what's been replaced or fixed and what was fine.

Trouble comes when you don't have a full and complete picture of the car's condition pre repairs. That's when the system breaks down.

Can of worms, UNLESS you can find out definitively exactly what had happened to it

as dave has said a can of worns

and got to be honest if you are looking to spend 10k in total on this rebuilding it  and if your planning to rebuild it using the same v5/reg number to avoid the  iva test the car will always be a cat  c and be worth less and what ever costs you factor into the rebuild  add abit more as you always spending more than you think and with winter just around the corner there are always deals to be had on straight cars with no doggy history so if I was you don't rush into buying anything  

I'm just a bit too keen! I'm impatient that way when I get something on my mind.

I'm just a bit too keen! I'm impatient that way when I get something on my mind.

Maybe the "orange" cars owner is on holiday (silly I know putting an advert in and then going on holiday...) Still looks a nice car and maybe worth a visit / trial fitting ?

You sound a bit like me when it comes to wanting something. However I really would strongly suggest waiting for the right one. I spent 4-5 months looking before I found mine. Rather wait a bit longer and get car your 100% happy with rather than rushing into getting the first one you see and find after the 'honeymoon' period of ownership has gone that your not happy,

The orange ones back today, spoke to him yesterday. I think I may have a road trip this weekend to go and see what's it's about. I'm happy enough to walk away if it doesn't feel right.

The first red one was away for the weekend and put his landline down instead of mobile. That one now off my list due to fitting into it issues!

Thought I would take a look at auto trader, only one that caught my eye http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201507235446930?atmobcid=soc4

Mainly because it's a red top v/hall, could include this in our road trip my daughters pushing me for!.

Worth a look - has the right bits (BGH, SBD,  Coscast, Jenveys, LSD)

Dombanks, my original budget was 5k, and I wanted a project which is were the cat c came in, it was also quite local, so I joined here to find out more info and its developed from there...........budget has now gone up, although my wife is only being told limited info! My daughters on my side as she's the co-pilot.

I'm not going to buy a cat now, I want something quick, good build quality, but at realistic money, and in the mean time need to sell my two bikes....