Choosing an S2000 engine

SteH

Morning all. I'm off work this week so I'm going to try and locate an engine and box for my Mega S2000 build. Looking around it seems that of the engines available there will be more and more fly by wire throttle cars as time goes by.

Does anyone know what's involved in converting a fbw engine to cable throttle? Is it just the throttle body, the whole inlet side of things, or is it more complicated than that?

Cheers

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Throttle body and inlet manifold with the intake air temp sensor, idle control valve and associated plumbing, plus the wiring loom will have some different connectors on it.

Alternatively, hopefully the Omex throttle body conversion kit will be available shortly, this will effectively replace all the "missing" bits on the DBW engine.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave. Seems there's a good number of engines around, but looks like low mileage ones go very quickly. Today I've been offered:

1999 - 52k miles - £2250

2003 - 71k miles - £2250

2003 - 39k miles - £2500

Looks like I'd be able to see any of them running, but I'd probably have to put a deposit on the 39k one before I could see it. I think I'd rather have something with less miles/younger than the first two, any thoughts on the 2003 - 39k miles - £2500 one?

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Fair prices. Honda engines seem built to last. So I wouldn't worry too much on miles. Worth looking at the rest of the car to see how its' been treated. Air filter and coolant condition can give an indication of servicing etc.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

As the others have said!

while psychologically, it's nice to have something below 50k; in reality, there are reasonably looked after, (but not pampered) S2000 engines well into six figure milages and still going strong with no major issues.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I'll be needing more of that in the coming months! I'm hoping to go and look at these tomorrow, although swmbo has just announced an unscheduled IKEA trip :bangshead:  

• Like 1