BoB memorial flight

TAFKARM

9 hours ago, Blatman said:

Is that Duxford? I think that's the only place I've seen a TSR2.

Yes Duxford. There's actually two TSR2's surviving I think.. I saw the other one at Cosford air museum last year.

Tbh, the main reason I wanted to go to Duxford was to see the SR71 Blackbird in the USAF hangar. Well I saw it, but for some reason it was cordoned off in a corner so you couldn't get very close to it. 

P1140954.thumb.JPG.6f1824e6b544059b8aed9d9408be5dc3.JPG

Ah, I thought I'd seen one at Cosford a couple of years ago.

Emmm SR71! Would love to have a proper look at one of those, a real iconic plane, from when I was growing up.

10 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Emmm SR71! Would love to have a proper look at one of those, a real iconic plane, from when I was growing up.

I visited Duxford with my younger brother, and we were pointing out planes we'd built as Airfix models when we were kids.. some were even hanging up like the ones on our bedroom ceiling. :laugh:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Andrew said:

I visited Duxford with my younger brother, and we were pointing out planes we'd built as Airfix models when we were kids.. some were even hanging up like the ones on our bedroom ceiling. :laugh:

That’s what I used to do as well, mum used to buy me a new kit every month when she was paid. Hit the jackpot when she came home with a Lancaster kit. I reckon I went through the whole of the Airfix catalogue as she sometimes bought a Revell kit. 

Also built up a collection of warships, remember HMS Victorious took ages to build.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2019 at 07:21, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

It was, I seem to recall, the only one that escaped Dennis Healey's shameful axe

If memory serves, TSR2 gave way to the MRCA which became the Tornado... I think... I'll stand to be corrected on that though...

35 minutes ago, Blatman said:

If memory serves, TSR2 gave way to the MRCA which became the Tornado... I think... I'll stand to be corrected on that though...

MRCA did become Tornado, but wasn't there a duff deal to buy F111s.. which got cancelled and replaced by Phantoms? .. in between TSR2 and Tornado.

That may well be true but Healey cancelled the project and ordered destruction of all the prototypes and jigs. The one at Cranfield was made up of accumulated parts and hidden away on the far side of the site to avoid detection - or so I was told when being shown it forty odd years ago <dribble>.

53 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

That may well be true but Healey cancelled the project and ordered destruction of all the prototypes and jigs. The one at Cranfield was made up of accumulated parts and hidden away on the far side of the site to avoid detection - or so I was told when being shown it forty odd years ago <dribble>.

I don't think either of the surviving TSR2s ever flew.. one of them got very close (hours) to flying when the programme was cancelled. The other has probably been put together with all the bits and pieces. Sad really.

I was in Chipping Sodbury to day for the carnival, a sad affair, only made good by the fly past a few times of a lone Lancaster Bomber.

Stood next to a 20 odd year old lad who said, it is some sort of old plane! How sad we have slipped so far and he was not a chav just stupid.

45 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I don't think either of the surviving TSR2s ever flew.. one of them got very close (hours) to flying when the programme was cancelled. The other has probably been put together with all the bits and pieces. Sad really.

Your right the 2 survivors never flew. Although reading a lot of the info on it the Tsr2 was a bit of a lemon and was cancelled because it never got close to its original design spec and the price spiralled out of control at the same time, so not  a great loss really. Although is a cool looking machine.

12 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Your right the 2 survivors never flew. Although reading a lot of the info on it the Tsr2 was a bit of a lemon and was cancelled because it never got close to its original design spec and the price spiralled out of control at the same time, so not  a great loss really. Although is a cool looking machine.

Sounds like almost every state project - grossly under costed, excessively over specced by a committee, and too damned expensive. HS2 to name but one.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...