the David

Hemsley

Hi everyone, my first post to introduce myself as an expectant Westfield owner - I'm picking up my FW full kit in a couple of weeks.

Over the last 10 years I've had pleasure of owning, driving, repairing, touring, repairing, and mostly just loving my 1972 Lotus Elan Plus 2S 130. I thought I would never part with her, but having heard about the enjoyment a friend of mine had building a Westfield, and then a Caterham, the idea of doing something similar caught.

It has sparked my son’s interest too, he researched lots of kits, and wants to build a car with me - no greater motivation required! My Dad, David, passed away in April. He was an electronics engineer and extremley competent DIY enthusiast, and together we took on all sorts of projects. My first automotive repair experience was fixing the rear brakes on a mini. He was happiest when designing or making something, and nothing would have stopped him from joining in. We wanted a name for the project and the car, and it was my son who suggested we call it “the David”.

Having sold my Lotus :cry: to raise the funds and make some space I’m now clearing up the garage. In a tradition I’ve seen elsewhere on this forum I’m starting by borrowing my friends Westfield Build stands.

So… my first question. How do I start a build blog thread?

Martin.
  • Like 1

Hi Martin and welcome. Best to start a build thread in the Tech section. Mine is here: http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/111249-ian-ks-s2000-build-thread/

It's well worth doing and you'll get lots of help and advise along the way. I even fitted my fuel pump backwards despite marking an arrow on the body to avoid this and some eagle eyed person spotted it and pointed it out long before I needed it. Without this , it would have caused some hair pulling when the engine was first tried to start!

Best regards,

Ian

Hi Martin, welcome and congratulations on ordering the kit :)

To answer your question, 'you just have'!

Just add your blogs to this post (or start a new one) - that generally works better than using the blog feature as everyone gets to see it and join in...

• Like 1

Good though the Blog section of the club's website is, as has been said, you'll get far more views by posting a build thread in the Tehnical section - and lots more help and advice as you go. 

Sometimes, some comment or other or what you're doing will even spur your imagination on to come up with a different approach to something, and an even better end result.

Hi Martin and welcome...

Oops, and sorry, forgetting my manners! Welcome to the club building is a great experience, the highs are great, and fortunately, there's usually very few lows, (and nothing that can't be overcome), and of course the odd low, is what makes the end result so satisfying and helps give such a great sense of accomplishment.

You'll find masses of support and encouragement on here. NEVER, NEVER be afraid to ask! It's often said, but there really is no such thing as a daft question. (May be one or two daft answers, of course!  ;) ). 

Do do try and pop along to your local meets, too. Don't worry that you haven't a Westfield yet, it honestly doesn't matter, you'll be just as welcome what ever you arrive in, and you'll find lots of inspiration and people only too willing to let you see the cars up close and how things fit together. Don't panic if they're arranging runs out either, just make yourself known to the AO (Area Organiser) at the meet - easy to spot in the blue club shirt with their name on the front - there are almost always spare passenger seats going, and most club meet attendees will be only too willing to give you (and your lad, if he wants to come along) a ride out at any of the events.

Its great for motivation too!

If you're not sure where your nearest meets are, there's a handy map here.

• Like 1

PS, while you're waiting for the kit to arrive, we'd love to hear more about the Élan!

i know it will have been a huge wrench to sell, but don't forget, cars like these aren't about transport, they're about memories; that's why they capture a little piece of our souls. Building the new Westfield, is just a chance to store up a whole bunch of new memories for you and your family in the next car.

Welcome aboard!

A build thread, as said, is an absolute must! I loved building mine and the help and advice I received through my build thread made it so much better.

Enjoy :)

Hello and welcome from Sunny Manchester  :t-up:  :d

I even fitted my fuel pump backwards despite marking an arrow on the body to avoid this and some eagle eyed person spotted it and pointed it out long before I needed it. Without this , it would have caused some hair pulling when the engine was first tried to start!

Been there and done that  :laugh:

• Like 1

It is great to be joining such a strong and active club community, and I'm looking forward to joining a few of the local meetings and runs.

From looking through a few of the build threads it's evident that a few pictures make things far more interesting - one of my Lotus outside the Marriott in Copenhagen (last years epic charity drive for hope), and few taken just before I sold her.