Nickietam

Pinto Valve Timing

Nickietam

I have been unable to start my Westy after replacing the cylinder head and would appreciate any help to get it up and running again.

I have a Westfield SEiW with a 2.0l Pinto engine and twin DCOE 45 Weber carburettors. The bottom end is unmodified, save for a lightened flywheel and I decided to improve performance by adding a big valve cylinder head and uprated camshaft. I purchased a Stage 2 unleaded head and a Kent GTS1 camshaft from Burton Power. Burtons fitted the camshaft to ensure the geometry etc was correct.

I removed the old cylinder head and fitted the new one without any difficulty and set up the valve timing using the Full Lift Before/After TDC Method as follows.

Established TDC on No1 Cylinder

Fitted Timing Disc to crankshaft pulley and set to zero degrees.

Adjusted Auxilliary pulley so that distributor rotor pointed to No 1 cylinder

Fitted and tensioned timing belt

Released vernier pulley on camshaft so that it rotated freely

Rotated engine clockwise by 108 degrees (the quoted value for full valve lift)

Turned camshaft so that inlet valve on No 1 cylinder was at maximum lift

Tightened vernier pulley

Torqued everything up

Turned engine over by hand without issue.

But it refuses to start. I have tried advancing/ retarding the ignition slightly but to no avail. I have a healthy spark and fuel seems OK.

I have run out of ideas and would appreciate comments on my methodology or anything else that I may have forgotten about or failed to do.

Thanks in anticipation.

Alastair.

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

The only thing that comes to mind instantly is the distributor could be out of phase and trying to fire at TDC on the end of the exhaust stroke/beginning of the induction stroke, instead at TDC on the compression stroke. A bit simplistic, perhaps, but I always try the simple things first and many times it comes out right! Good Luck anyway Alastair. :t-up:

cast iron

Similar to MOTCOs sugestion swap the plug leads around on the cap 1 position at a time.

Do you have a timing strobe you can fire while someone is cranking, it should give you an idea if ignition timing is out

Andrew

I reckon it would run if you did the same set up, but set the rotor arm pointing at No4.

BudSlater

Definately to do with the dizzy drive I say

jeff oakley

How I would do this is simple. Get the engine at TDC on number one cylinder, do this by putting a screwdriver in through the plug on number one and rotate back and forth until you are sure.

Look at the rocker arms at number 4 cylinder and if you rock the engine the two rockers arms on number 4 should be rocking.

The distributer should now be pointing at number one on the dizzy cap. If it is not the distributer is out, if the arms on 4 are not rocking at TDC then the cam is out.

On the pinto there is no piston to valve contact even if it is way out.

Get the car running on the most basic settings and then swing the cam to optimum settings and check the timing. Don't start pulling plug leads off if you have not disturbed them in the first point.

• Like 1

Andrew

On the pinto there is no piston to valve contact even if it is way out.

Agree, on a standard engine, .. but a skimmed head and a big cam there could be?

If the rotor arm is firing No1 at tdc, then 108 deg later the No1 inlet is at full lift??? 

I'd get the cam timing right, then slot the dizzy in last.

Certainly possible that it would clash. Mine is a Vulcan Maxiflow head and Kent fast road cam (FR2?), and it doesn't clash. With other cams and heads available your mileage may vary...  :rolleyes:

Nickietam

Many many thanks to everyone who responded to my request for help but in particular to Andrew whose suggestion proved to be correct. I had a gut feeling the problem was with the distributor and the information I received seemed to reinforce my concerns. Tonight I reconfigured the distributor to fire on No 4 cylinder as suggested and the engine started after a couple of turns. It sounds good but tomorrow when I have more time, I will check/reset the ignition timing with my timing light and hopefully it will be good to go. The quick response and assistance given by you all is greatly appreciated and saved me a few pounds by not having to call in my local garage to sort things out.

Thanks again.

Alastair.

• Like 1

Glad it's sorted Alastair. :)

Pistol Pete

Glad you're sorted, there is a correct answer bottom somewhere, if you click that on Andrew's post it will any future searches with the same issue.

Nickietam

Found it and activated.

Thanks,

Alastair.