Well-developed, flexible, reliable and FAST C20XE SEiW now SOLD

AdamR

1/11/15: Car now sold.

Warning! This is a pretty long read - the advert detail matches my enthusiasm for and knowledge of the car, so it may take you a while to get all the way through :)

After some serious deliberation, the time has come to sell my Westfield to make way for a new project.

(Click photos for larger versions)

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

I purchased the car in July 2012 and have since spent considerable time, money and effort developing it into what I would consider to be the perfect Westfield: it will bimble around town on a sunny summer's day, then you can take it to Anglesey and get round in a time that would put it 6th on this leaderboard without changing anything other than a few clicks on the dampers: http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/anglesey_coastal.html (video linked below), or pop on some Avon ZZRs and take 2nd fastest time of the day at a well-attended meeting (this was my very first sprint event):

In short, this is the perfect car for someone who wants to enjoy road blatting (at a good pace) and also complete some trackdays / sprint events without having to worry about mechanical issues or stone chips / scratches. I used the car hard but always with mechanical sympathy, and would love it to go to a similar home.

What it isn't, is a show car. There are numerous gel coat cracks, a couple of chips, and the rear part of the tub doesn't match the sides amongst other 'flaws', but I always spent my time, effort and money on mechanical upgrades and maintenance. It is not untidy by any means, but I would like potential purchasers to be aware of the above before viewing. I had planned to do a full strip down over winter to attend to a few of these, but the new project will take precedence now.

car3.jpg

car4.jpg

So, onto the spec. This is quite extensive and the main reason I purchased the car. However, I still wanted to develop it further so there have been a lot of new items purchased in the last 3 years.

- 1995 SEIW chassis. This appears to have had a bump in the past, but it wasn't noticeable enough for me to pick it up when I purchased the car and took me 18 months to find! It looks to have had a nudge from the front left corner, leaving left side caster around 8 degrees but the right side is 'normal' at 5 degrees. The top ball joint is screwed into the wishbone further on the right side than the left side to give equal camber both sides. The car drives straight and true and you would never know about this unless it was pointed out, but I wanted to be honest about it remembering how 'disappointed' I felt when the previous seller didn't point this out to me.

- Westfield widetrack front suspension.

- Westfield aluminium front uprights.

- Westfield aluminium rear uprights.

- Westfield aluminium hubs.

- Custom developed front and rear anti-roll bars, will supply all the calculations and chassis setup spreadsheets with the car.

- Protech single adjustable shocks front and rear, valved for the car and balanced in pairs. One rear shock is brand new following a leak developing.

- 300lb/in front and 185lb/in rear springs, both 2.25" (wheel rate 1.69Hz front and 1.86Hz rear with 85kg driver). I found these to be a very good compromise - soft enough for the road, stiff enough for track use.

- Front shocks have two bump stops fitted to prevent the sump grounding out on even the nastiest rolling bumps.

- Geometry is currently set up for track, 3.3 degrees negative camber front and 2.6 rear, decent amount of rear toe in and slight toe out at the front, and corner weighted for an 85kg driver, but if the full asking price is met I will set the car up to your preferences and corner weight it while you collect.

- Raceleda R16 (same as Wilwood Dynalite) 4 pot front calipers with Ferodo DS1.11 pads. These are race pads and need a little heat to work. Pedal force required to lock the wheels is high - in the region of 55kg, which approximately three times that of a normal road car, but the feedback and modulation of the braking system is superb due to this. Heel and toe downshifts are a dream and the pedal positions can be adjusted if necessary.

- Custom made cooling ducts, which can be easily removed if desired.

- Grooved solid 247mm front disks.

- Sierra rear calipers and solid discs, with Apec pads.

- Twin master cylinders with dashboard operated brake bias adjuster, using a custom converted top mount pedal box (note the gaffer tape is only there to seal some gaps to appease a scrutineer).

- Throttle pedal is deliberately long travel to ensure great feel in all weather conditions.

- Heel rest to prevent kangaroo-ing over bumps when on partial throttle.

car10.jpg

car6.jpg

- Playskool full lightweight cage with padding.

- Westfield extra wide rear arches.

- 6" front and 7" rear Compomotive CXRs (13", of course!).

- Toyo R888's in medium, 185/60 front (good tread) and 205/60 rear (getting close to legal limit, passed recent MOT).

- JK Composite seats, black, with carbon tops. Both are in fixed positions - would be happy to help with setting up the driver's one on collection of the car if you wish.

- Schroth 3" 6 point drivers harness.

- Schroth 3" 5 point passengers harness.

- 280mm suede Momo steering wheel with removable boss. Lots of spacers behind so it's easy to get the perfect driving position.

- 2.4 quick rack with solid mounts.

car5.jpg

- Carbon mods nose cone, on quarter-turn fasteners for quick removal / fitting.

- V8 bonnet, with mesh in the front and an air exit at the rear.

- Mickmade front carbon splitter.

- Carbon mods indicator pods.

- Carbon mods dash.

- Carbon mods aeroscreen.

- Carbon mods scuttle top.

- Carbon mods CSR style front wings, mounted onto foam on the brackets to help avoid cracks.

- Carbon mods boot cover (removable by hand using custom made knurled screws).

- Fluke carbon centre tunnel.

- Carbon scuttle top.

- Custom made rear diffuser, removable quickly with 4 bolts.

- ETB Digidash Lite 2 (integrated shift lights, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, fuel level, etc).

- Separate mechanical oil pressure gauge.

- M&P 4" Headlights.

- BGH E6 HD gearbox (2.83, 1.81, 1.26, 1.0, 0.87) - rebuilt by BGH end of 2013, receipt for ~£700+.

- Remote extension to get the gear lever in a comfortable place away from the dashboard - a very important detail IMO!

- Sierra 3.92 LSD.

car7.jpg

car8.jpg

car9.jpg

- Northampton Motorsport built 2.1 Vauxhall XE, run in and mapped originally by NMS (receipts to prove) and then subsequently tuned at BLiNK Motorsport to 211bhp at the rear hubs, with over 150ft/lbs at the rear hubs from 4500 to 7500rpm (dyno graph / receipts to prove). This car still holds the 2L N/A power record on their dyno I believe, with an estimated 250bhp at the flywheel. At 590kg, that's over 420bhp/ton.
- Built to rev to north of 8500rpm, but I set the limiter at 7800 because there's no need to stretch it that far, and lowering the rev limit helps to increase longevity of the parts.
- Jenvey 48mm taper throttle bodies with Peco 480cc injectors.
- The head was sold to me as a 'CNC big valve ported head with cooling mods', however I couldn't find evidence of this when I inspected it. The power the car makes seems to exceed that a normal head would flow though...
- SBD 295 cams.
- Double valve springs.
- Titanium valve caps.
- Ultra light weight cam followers.
- Kent vernier pulleys.
- Omega/SBD H.T 87.5mm oversized pistons (rebored block at rebuild).
- Steel rods and ARB bolts.
- SBD pot-type lightened flywheel with ARP bolts.
- Helix paddle clutch.
(The two above items were changed in my ownership to give the car better driveability - the original clutch was very harsh and snatchy, due to it being more suited to a sequential 'box and rated to 500ft/lbs!)
- SBD alloy bellhousing.
- SBD alternator kit and flat belt pulleys.
- EMERALD K3 ECU with latest software upgrades.
- ECU race engine loom with coil pack and leads.
- Magnecor HT leads, standard NGK plugs recently replaced.
- SBD carbon HT lead cover.
- Swirl pot fuelling setup with two filters, to ensure no fuel surge / cut even with very low fuel in the tank.
- ITG filter with SBD 'cabbage cannon' airbox - considerably reduces induction nose, the car has never had noise issues on track.
- Simpson full exhaust system with re-packable silencer - runs at 102dB.
- Radtec aluminium radiator with override switch.
- ASH silicone hoses throughout.
- Varley gel battery with cut-off switch on the dash.
- Remote oil filter in a very easy to change location.
- Always run on high quality motorsport fully synthetic oil. Currently on Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 10w-60 Ester Fully Synthetic, which it very much seems to like. Somehow, even though it's an XE, there are no oil leaks from anywhere (even the rear crank seal!) with this oil in.
- Dry sump system with a Titan pump and pan, SBD front cover, custom made tank and a Mocal Laminova. This oiling / cooling setup cost around £2500 and many hours to perfect. The oil pressures, oil and water temps now run rock solid and I never have any doubt in my mind that they will deviate throughout whatever use (abuse?) the car gets.
- Breathers blocked off as the three stage pump has two scavenge and one pressure stage, so it creates a slight vacuum. This reduces windage losses (the crank whipping up in the oil) too, to the tune of 6bhp at the wheels we found.

There is lots of discussion relating to all aspects of the car's development which can be found here: http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/109265-car-development-clear-progress/

Some extra info:

I was invited by Westfield to attend the Total Kit Car Live show at Blyton Park in 2013 and gladly went along to give passenger rides. Many 'victims' described the car as the fastest they'd been in all day (including some with downforce) and noticeably quicker than the S2000 demonstrator Westfield had taken along being polited by a professional driver.

tkc_live_8.jpg

Mileage is currently on around 5800, but it will be used as and when we get some decent weather! I am not sure exactly how many of these have been done with the current engine, but May 2012's MOT was 3169 miles and the engine build receipts are from 2010 I believe, so I would say well under 5000. I also think the car had a Crossflow originally looking at some photos, so there is a sheet of carbon riveted to the side of the tub to cover an exhaust exit hole. I do have a spare set of matching black GRP side panels for the car which will be included in the sale though.

MOT'd until 29th June 2016. 3 advisories on the latest one: One was incorrectly diagnosed by the garage, both the rear lower wishbone rod ends have slight play. I have already bought two more to go on and this will be done before sale. They also noted the handbrake had 'little reserve travel' - random.

Various videos of me enjoying the car are on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=thetart20+westfield - I have only had one single mechanical breakdown on track, which was unfortunately a broken main gearbox shaft at the aforementioned Total Kit Car Live show - hence the gearbox rebuild and change of clutch / flywheel.

You will also see one video titled 'Oulton Armco Altercation' - this smashed the rear part of the tub and squashed the fuel tank (professionally repaired), but luckily owing to it being more of a 'glance' I got away lightly. This is the reason for the non-matching rear part of the tub - it is fixed securely onto the arches and the rear part of the chassis, and quickly removable if needed.

There are a few bits of surface rust on various bits of chassis and wishbone - nearly all Westfields are like this, so don't let it surprise you on a viewing. The car is no garage queen and some of my most enjoyable road drives have been in the pouring rain!

On that note, the car has the best weather proofing you can get - the seats and floor pan have holes drilled in them so the water runs straight out :)

I have a huge physical folder of receipts and info, plus a large collection of electronic documentation for the car which will be supplied.

Datalogger and fire extinguisher not included.

I'll give the car a clean before you come and see it - and sorry the photos are a bit shoddy, they are all I could grab for now. If the car doesn't sell before winter sets in then I will update them.

Chances are if you're looking at a car like this you have a had something similar before - but if not please don't hesitate to give me a call to discuss any of the aspects of ownership. One of the best is when it comes to insurance renewal - nothing else with this much grunt comes in at under £200 fully comp!

Spares:

I have a clutch cable, some spark plugs and a dry sump belt which you are welcome to take - these are the only spares I carried to track days, that's how reliable it's been for me!

I also have a couple of sets of 13" wheels (some with slicks, some with wets, others with sprint Avon ZZRs) I would consider selling as an extra, but they are not included with the sale.

The car is kept at Bamber Bridge, near Preston, PR5. Happy to take viewings at any time I'm not otherwise engaged, and I would love to take you out for 'one last drive' and show you what the car can do. I have a spare helmet, or protective glasses, if you need.

Unfortunately due to the nature of the car, I'll be the only person driving unless you have the full asking price in cash with you - sorry - it will spin the wheels in 4th in a straight line if the surface isn't dry...

Price:

£12995ono. Not cheap, but I feel it offers very good value compared with what it would cost to build, looking at what else is around at the moment and the amount I have spent (both to buy the car, and subsequently). If the full asking price is met, I will include a full geometry setup to your intended use for the car and also corner weighting. On top of this, I am also happy to attend a trackday (preferably within ~2.5 hours of Preston - Oulton, Anglesey, Croft, Donington, Blyton) with the new owner to offer assistance in both a mechanical and instructional sense at no extra cost, as long as you are happy to tag me on as a passenger / 2nd driver. I am a qualified and registered ARDS instructor and would really love to help you get the best out of the car! I truly believe the few hundred extra spent would be well worthwhile, but if you would like to take the car without the custom setup and the day of instruction, I will let it go at £12,500.

Tel: Zero78 Three45 Three46 One2 - fire me a text or call at any (reasonable!) time.

As always with anything I am selling, please feel free to shout up with questions at any point.

Thanks for reading!
Adam

Edit: Found a few more pics - she scrubs up well!

riv1.jpg

riv2.jpg

riv3.jpg

riv4.jpg

riv5.jpg

Sad to see it go Ad.

I want another passenger ride before it gets sold. ha!

This is one seriously sorted Westie.  Whoever buys it is getting an amazing, well looked after car at a bargain price!

Thanks dude. I need to get those shocks back to you so I'm sure we can sort something out :)

Always loved this car and following your progress with it!

Why have I just renovated 2 bathrooms!!  :cry:

Good luck with the sale (not that you will need it!)

Dave

• Like 1

Why can't you? :d

There's a few bits of spec I forgot to mention, will have a good look over the car soon and add (even more!) to the advert.

Cheers Mike - replied and speak to you later :)

Awesome write up Adam, really really wish I could have it back!

It was great when Adam bought it.

I've followed his progress with improving and seen it in action.

Now it's an awesome but still flexible beast.

• Like 1

It was great when Adam bought it.

I've followed his progress with improving and seen it in action.

Now it's an awesome but still flexible beast.

Yes indeed, I did pretty much all the work to it and sold it to the guy Adam bought it from

Thanks David :t-up:

Had a few conversations with interested parties, some more serious than others I think, but have a viewing arranged for Sunday evening.

Took it out for what could be a last blat last night and forgot how rapid it was. I will miss it, especially the engine and brake setup! :down: They make my new car seem pretty shoddy in comparison.

Mileage ticked just over 5900 and I think it will stay there now, unless it doesn't sell within the next month or so.

Cheers,
Adam

First viewing this afternoon, prospective future owner - who currently has a ~185bhp Westfield - "absolutely **** himself" and has gone home physically shaking :)

No sale agreed yet though!

• Like 3

Good luck with the sale, Adam. Sounds a bargain!!

• Like 1

Thanks Stephen!

Paul, who came to view it, agreed it was well worth the asking price and has since described the car as 'terrifying', but unfortunately couldn't see past the cosmetic marks and history of a couple of dings, which was a shame. So, it's still waiting for a lucky new owner...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.