1800 Zetec Thermostat Housing Replacement

andrewmais

Ok guys - Ive been a long time away from the forum for which I apologise  - first child, new job etc !

However I now call upon your expertise please.........

Whilst loading my car on to the trailer at 6am Sat morning heading to Donnington for a track day, I cracked the thermostat housing on one of the outlets and lost all the engine coolant ! (quite common I have heard) 

I now need to replace the unit as its beyond repair.  The housing and stat are original Ford parts.  I sourced a replacement housing from Euro Car Parts for £50 (cheap looking part to be honest) and the 3 holes do not line up for the second part of the housing to fit to and I cant source a replacement second part.

I am also concerned by the sensors, I had to cut the wire as I could not remove it from the corner sensor - can provide pics if needed.

Can some one please advise on the best course of action please and where to source replacements? 

Thanks in advance.

Panda / StussyOil

Thanks for your replies.  The water rail looks good, but I think I will just opt for a straight swap where possible and limit the install effort to the low level of my technical ability.

So looking at the ebay link I was clearly stung at Euro Car parts - perhaps no surprise there !

I was looking at this one as it appears to have all the right outlets in the correct places and has the stat and both parts of the housing included too. - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-Mk2-Cougar-Thermostat-with-Housing-Kit-1-8i-2-0i-Petrol-Zetec-E-/271936195991 

It says that the sensor is included but I cant see it on the part pic - any ideas?  On the original part it appears sort of top left of the housing and is on the blanked off outlet - is that right ?

Also can I use the original gasket or would I use a need a new one and if so where?

the rail was actually an easy job...  

i don't have a part/part number to compare for you as i don't have one any more, i seemed to remember there were two versions for the silver top. the sensor i seem to remember on mine just unscrewed.

i got my replacement one direct from ford, so i'm sorry i cant help further.

cheers

panda

the sensor unscrews

So quick update - I managed to get my £50 back from ECP and have ordered the following from ebay for about £30 in total:

Thermostat housing with both parts and a stat

New gasket

And sender for VDO

Visually it all looks right but I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your valuable help as always.

the sensor unscrews

Some of them are push in, with a rubber seal and a clip. Caught me out when I swapped over my spare one from my other engine!

So parts have arrived and all present and correct the gasket lines up with the old one and the thermostat housing is the same layout as the old one. Just got to sort temp sender now before fitting.

So I bought a VDO sender 1/8 button connection the same as before and because I'm running twin carbs no need for the ECU sender just the water temp one. However I need to fit it to the stat housing. There is a blanked off hole where this should go, so how do I fit it please ?

Thanks all

Alternatively is there somewhere else on the block that I can fit a temp sensor? 1800 16v Zetec?

Thanks