Apem (toggle) hazard switch wiring

Raescar

I didn't see a full post on this though there are various pages with helpful hazard switch info on the site.

I thought a quick summary document might help others who might be wiring in the Apem branded toggle switches. Everything is fairly straightforward to wire on the dash apart from the dreaded hazard switch.

This is specifically written for the MTS56 Apem toggle switch which I used - though I'm sure it is valid for various other switch sizes and brands too. Do though please do your own research before blowing fuses. Wire colours may vary too so I've given both name and colours to try and help as much as possible.

Starting at the top left when viewed from the back of the switch we have the normally closed terminal labelled A1. Attach the permanent live feed wire (purple)

A2 terminal (middle left) is common. Attach feed to flasher unit wire (light green/pink)

A3 terminal (bottom left) is normally open. Attach feed from ignition switch wire (green)

B4 (top right) is normally closed. Attach flasher unit feed to 1 and 2 wire (light green / brown)

B5 (Middle right) is common. Attach *both* LH indicator feed (green / red) and RH indicator feed wires (green / white).

B6 (lower right) normally open. No wires attached.

Black is Earth. This is not used.

For terminal B5 the LH and RH feeds require a jumper to allow both wires to connect to a common terminal and this is easily fabricated from spade connectors. Inline with each of the LH and RH feeds you need to install a diode. As with others on the forum I went to maplin and bought two P600A diodes. They were about £1.25 each with the VAT. The diode has a silver band near one leg. This leg with the silver band goes furthest from the switch.

So for terminal 5 you would have:

A single spade connector, connected to switch terminal B5 with two wires coming off. Each wire has a P600A diode soldered to it using the diode leg without the silver band (the silver is band furthest away from the switch on each diode). Then on the the first diode leg with the silver band solder the LH feed (or spade connector to LH feed if you prefer) and on the second diode solder the RH feed (or spade connector to RH feed if you prefer). It doesn't matter which way round you connect the LH and RH wires so long as one goes to each diode.

With the ignition off the indicators do not work and if you flip the hazards on all indicators flash.

With the ignition on the indicators work. The hazards flash if you flip the switch. The hazards also flash all indicators if you flip the hazards on while the indicators are also on.

You will also need the indicator switch wired in to check all this. Oh and my toggle switches are technically upside down on my dash.

Hope this helps others following a similar route :)

• Like 1

Thanks Magic, a very clear and concise write up. In fact so much so that I've moved it to the FAQ section so it's easy for everyone to find, for future reference.

(I've left a link in Tech Talk though, so that you can track it down!)

• Like 1