Advice for a newbie SEiGHT owner

vanhoppa

Hi all

I've recently joined WSCC and bought a SEiGHT, it was good to meet Steve at the Warwickshire meet last week. I'm planning a few changes and would appeciate some experienced pointers on suspension and brakes.

Car will be used mostly on road with 2 up (with only occasional sprint).

Changing to widetrack front and looking to replace the old dampers and springs allround. Heard good things about Protech - What size springs, lbs & dampers would be a good place to start on front & back repectively?

Secondly I'm having JE Developments liberate some extra horses from the 4.3 V8 and would like some extra stopping power, any suggestions on good brake calipers/disc upgrades. I have 16" wheels.

Thanks in advance

Might be an idea to take the car along to Procomp and get them to do some geo to make sure the wheels are facing in the right direction, find out what it weighs and fit new springs and matching Protech dampers.

Change the shocks the same time you fit the widetrack kit as you can buy the slightly longer Protech front shocks to match the widetrack set up. If you use the standard length Protechs you will need to bolt on an adaptor to the bottom wishbone.

Blink or Procomp supply the Protechs and both can advise you which springs and dampers you need. They will also fit and align your suspension correctly if you want them too.

should have brought my car  it had wide track and nitrons already fitted and spare 4.6 v8 development engine if you wanted more power :d  :d :d  :d  

• Like 1

For engines je and v8 developments are very good depends where you are located but neither are cheap if you want lots of power.

For brakes rally design do a 285mm disc kit and 4 pots that are easy to fit and with similar piston size to ford m16 so your master cylinder works OK for pedal travel. Pads are a personal choice and ferodo ds2500 seem a good road with some track choice. Make sure you change the rears to match too.

More importantly 

Welcome to this madhouse called the WSCC  :)

Hope you enjoy your Westfield  :t-up:

The cortina brakes are all you need. Their designed to stop a heavy family car with 5 people and luggage. Just buy good pads unless your after cosmetics and weight saving

I run protech dampers and wilwood billet calipers which are plenty good enough for stopping the protech are ok but they're alloy so helps reduce u sprung weight. Tbh wide track is a waste of money for a road car I felt no additional benefit a bit of a waste of money. And I never had anyone come up to me and say ahh right your running wide track...that's how un- noticeable they were and when I competed it made a slight difference, but that's my thoughts on it....a lot of people say a lot of good things when they've had an up grade and they haven't worked....because they have to justify their spend in their heads but they're people who just love the upgrades for up grades wether they make adiffrence or not those are the people to ask cos you won't get a bull **** answer...and again these are just my thoughts on the subject after18 years of ownership and 3 different Westfields still a member and still have the SEiGHT.

Buzz

Funny thing is, I'd have wide track every time on a road car with cycle wings if it did nothing at all for handling, just for the extra steering lock and manoeuvrability it gives in tight spaces. But then I'm daft enough to even use my Westfield to go shopping in and have to park in car parks etc!

Only fitted wide track on ours to improve the dangerously limited left turn steering lock after fitting cycle wings with a very forward mounted Zetec. Can't say we noticed any difference in the handling, but that's hardly surprising given our utter lack of talent.

It actually ended up looking a bit weird IMO - obviously wider track at front than back that is quite visible when following it along the road. Put some spacers on the back to assist that but it;s still somewhat apparent even now.

Still, there are plenty of experts who will tell you that a wider front track is a good thing. (I meant that at face value by the way! - there are genuine experts with good reasons to tell you it is beneficial...not actually heard the reasons though....)