Squealing brakes

Chris King

Earplugs and brake harder when going slowly.

Bob :d

• Like 1
Chris King

Earplugs and brake harder when going slowly.

Bob :d

That is indeed the current plan of attack Bob!

did you do the correct bedding procedure for the 1144 from memory 5 gentle  stops from 70mph to 30mph  then a couple of harder ones then let them cool down.

I would do a search for procedure and clean discs with garnet paper and try again .

• Like 1
Chris King

did you do the correct bedding procedure for the 1144 from memory 5 gentle  stops from 70mph to 30mph  then a couple of harder ones then let them cool down.

I would do a search for procedure and clean discs with garnet paper and try again .

No, I didn't realise there was a bedding procedure - plus, first drive was on the way to IVA with everything brand new and little opportunity to do anything while on the way there.

Will look into it - cheers.

[edit] found it but guess it's a bit late now?

[edit 2] - and doing this is pretty near impossible by virtue of having to drive from a residential speed-bump neighbourhood to a dual carriageway - so I guess it's a 'track only' guide?

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Bedding in makes quite a difference, as does "how you brake"; I'm not suggesting you slam the anchors on at every possible opportunity, but if you've been doing a lot of gentle braking - in town/traffic driving for instance, it can help them start to squeal. Making sure you get some good heat into them on every trip helps.

M1144's are just a squealy pad though, you can minimise it for sure, but it does come back every so often. All I used to do when it did was whip the pads out, clean up and re-copper grease, (though a proper brake grease/anti-squeal compound is better), and re dress the friction surface with some coarse garnet paper. Re-dress the disc friction surfaces too. Re-bed them in and they'd be fine for ages again. They're such a great combination of feel, fade resistance and braking power for the money, they're worth it.

Chris King

I did notice that they stopped squealing once they I started to 'use' them a bit and this only returned once I hit built up areas with gentle slow braking - but will try and see if I can manage to somehow bed them in again as suggested.

In the mean time - earplugs :)

Terryathome

I though the bedding in was 30 to 0 mph say 3 times then from 70. Stop, climb out and step back, watch the smoke come off them and think "thats not right? Is it? well yes it is. Let the brakes totally go cold. Job done.

Starting from 30 starts the heating up process and 70 gets some real heat into them. 

All the above from memory of course.

Terry

Chris King

Funnily enough, on my IVA run, I would have gone up to 30 a few times and slowed (for roundabouts etc) then I did head to a dual carriageway and went up to around 70 and slowed for traffic, then up again and then pulled over into a layby to check that the cooling fan was working OK prior to joining a long queue of traffic.

So I guess I might have sort of cycled them by accident!

corsechris

I think braking harder is the trick TBH. Powerlights on ours, have tried 3 different pads (1144, Greenstuff and one other I can't recall), assorted combinations of copperslip/ceratec/shims/dry, filing the pad backing plates a wee bit to make them looser in the caliper, different discs....nothing has worked so far - light braking, squeals like a b******d. Brake feel, however has been pretty much excellent on all the combinations I've tried.

I bought yet another brand of shim & anti-squeal compound last year but yet to try it. Not optimistic TBH.

After a bit of heavy braking, they shut up for a short while.

I've also made sure to properly bed the pads, have chamfered them as well.....I think it's probably just the design of the caliper. Had some Midilights on another car and they were fine.

Only other thought I had was to attach a mass damper to the pads...but can't see how to safely achieve that.

Chris King

Was out again today to have a natter with a local mapper - and the brakes were better, only squealing on light braking now and not as much as before. So a few slightly more 'spirited' drives coupled with some more aggressive braking has certainly helped :)

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

You be careful you don't crash after all your great work.

Chris King

You be careful you don't crash after all your great work.

Haha - no, I'll try not to! The drives weren't that raucous - just enough to get the brakes going ;)

• Like 1