Sierra rear calipers

John Dolan - Chairman

John Dolan - Chairman

Since replacing the brake pads and fluid both rear discs are shiny on the outside but the insides are rusty.

I used a proper tool to rewind the pistons. The pads are free and the calipers slide ok, the pedal is very good and the car stops well. Backed off the handbrake in case it was stopping the auto adjust mechanism but no improvement. The rears are working as I can stall the engine when it's on the stands.

I've covered about 1,000 miles since replacing the pads.

John.

cast iron

The Sierra caliper relies on the piston to push on the inside of the disc to pull across the outsde pad on the sliders, strange your seeing rust on the inside.

Grizzlee

and there was me thinking it's because you don't use your brakes :p

Did you change the slider pins and new grease? (quite cheap to do) - it doesn't take much to restrict their movement and the rears on a Westie don't really get much "abuse".

Also take the disc off and wire brush (rotary wire brush in a drill is good) to clean it - again, often if there's rust there already it takes some hard work by the pads to remove it.