SHOULD I TAKE THE WESTFIELD TO SCOTLAND OR NOT

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

Morning Team.

I have been planning on taking Buttercup to Scotland and I am due to go tomorrow for 9 days.

The weather forecasts are terrible and all different.

One for the Glen Coe is saying 24 hour rain, another is saying snow and another is saying some sunny spells. 

With or rucksacks on the back, we cannot install the full roof so only have the half hood.

We have watched the weather constantly for the past few days and really in two minds weather to go or not

Has anyone else experienced any touring in their Westfield in days of constant rain and was it any "fun"

We did a tour of the Dales and Lakes a few years ago and it was torrential nearly all the time.  Still had great fun, but we did have the full weather gear on.  The only sun was when we were on the M6 home, and I couldn't take the top down 'cos we had bought a painting in Keswick and it was on 'the parcel shelf' - so we boiled all the way home.

I wouldn't like to have been just half-hooding in those very wet conditions - especially when someone coming the other way made a deep puddle airborne, which did happen a few times on that trip.  Wall of water over an open Westy would not be fun.

iv been to scotland many times touring and always the forecasts are vague at best. not far out but unreliable. the way i saw it was if you see the huge tidal wave on the forecast - it probly will  rain.. showers - take your chances. but unless it says rain from day 1 to the end day i'd go. it usually isnt as bad as they say - i have no roof or anything, prepare for the wet suff and dont worry. btw i have nothing in the car other than me to get wet... it will but is waterproof. maybe id remove carpets if you have them, or could cover seats if wet.. dash boards are more durable than you think, the wiring usually stays dry unless you have massive gaps dash to scuttle. take beer towels! small towels are handy to mop up on route if needed, rinse re-use.

Morning men.

Thanks for the comments.

The problem with the weather is that it is showing 24 hour rain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/7874330

We are just in the process of ringing the first hotel to confirm the weather and see how correct todays forecast is.

I have been planning this trip for nearly a year and bought luggage rack, half doors, took out all carpets and loads of other stuff and cannot believe there is so much rain forecast for everywhere we are due to go.

I thought Scotland was the centre of the universe and glorious sunshine would reign supreme.

On 25 May last year I and other club members ignored a BBC heavy rain all day forecast and it was torrential all day. As I cannot get in with the hood on it was a very damp day and the roads were flooded. I reckon the forecasting these days is pretty accurate, sorry to say.

Can you delay departure until Wed 03 June then the worst of the rain will have passed. Also 1st and 2nd June forecasts include severe weather warnings for strong winds of 40mph+.

Hope you can get away soon.

• Like 1

Morning men.

I thought Scotland was the centre of the universe and glorious sunshine would reign supreme.

It was til' the SNP got in :o  ;)

for what its worth weather today in lossiemouth was raining this morning and has been fairing since,overcast now light wind with the odd sunny spell, we are about 30 mins east of inverness,  forcast is to improve through the week though. Enjoy your trip but if you decide against taking buttercup and the sun shines............... well you'll just have to come again :)

• Like 1

Hi buttercup. I did the nc500 last week and a bit more in my eBay find ford puma finishing with a track day at knock hill.

Not wishing to dampen the enthusiasm but the roads are quite varied and I really enjoyed something with a roof, compliant suspension and a radio. I am old though. I have done 800 miles in a day in a westie with 7 hours of rain and never missed my westie in Scotland.

Its a beautiful country and I spent hours looking out the window at legal speeds and then driving hard at legal speeds another day on a single track road. All round top fun.

In my westie I would have been waiting for a wincing grounding moment.....

If you go in your westfield make sure your ride height can cope.

Fuel is frequent but variable in price, take a spare can for emergencies.

Cheers jon

• Like 2

I have done 800 miles in a day in a westie with 7 hours of rain 

Big respect!

Afternoon All.

Thanks for the great comments and advice.

Well we are all loaded up and also have a spare can of fuel in the car.

We have also traveled out for the past hour or so and happy with how Buttercup travels with a load.

We have said that we shall go in Buttercup and if the weather is so bad we dont enjoy it, then we will come back for the tintop [ subject to where we are and how long left on the holiday.] we have driven around Scotland a few times but so looking forward to this trip.

Carol and my daughters try so hard every year to get me to go abroad but I say Scotland.

IMG_1917_zpsir6fhtjs.jpg

IMG_1916_zpsj4rckw5l.jpg

• Like 3

SWMBO taking a daily change of clothes then?  I've done 3 weeks in the States on about a quarter of that luggage - hope those rucksacks are waterproof!

SWMBO taking a daily change of clothes then? I've done 3 weeks in the States on about a quarter of that luggage - hope those rucksacks are waterproof!

HOW much stuff? Now I see why not using full hood!

• Like 1

I have just shown the Mrs your comments about a quarter of the luggage and that did not go down very well. :d

Everything inside the rucksacks are inside plastic bags to keep them dry but the rucksacks are pretty good to be honest.