Alternator fouling chassis

RoboS

I have a Halfords 409 alternator on my V8 and its fouling on the chassis diagonal cross member. Ideally it needs lifting up by approx 20mm. To enable the pulley to match up to the ones on my water pump and crankshaft the alternator is "spaced" 25mm forward of the cast mounting bracket.

Its pretty obvious that something is not right, can anyone advise the correct alternator or another way to solve this problem

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob, is it fouling all the time or just on engine rock? Heavy duty engine mount rubbers can help with rock, otherwise you can often grind/ file quite a chunk off the alternator casing- might help if the foul is not too severe?

Its only about 2mm clear, its made a small dent in the cross member with the engine movement. The last owner fitted a couple of washers on the engine mounting to try to lift the engine slightly but with no joy

As R7 WSC says I heard a lot of problems over the years with RV8 engine mount bushes failing due to the heat from the manifolds. You can get upgraded ones and some of the TVR ones have a metal cup to further help with the heat.

Could the mounts needs changing?

I had the car on ramps this evening looking at them, they look ok, however looking at the rest of the car it may be worth changing them.

Rob

Thanks for the info, well worth a try, i will order a set tomorrow

Rob

Thanks for the info, well worth a try, i will order a set tomorrow

Rob

No worries :)

Hope it helps.

Take off the belt and measure it. Then have a look on line and you will probably find a slightly shorter belt that will move it out of the way. Even if you have to put the belt on without the adjuster first, then fit afterwards.

If you take it to someone who has a Gates belt gauge they will be able to give lengths available. There might even be a size on you belt, if it is multirib it will be something like 6PK and then a number which is the lenght

V pulley belts also have the length as part of the part number printed on the belt. On the old Lucas alternator on my Pinto I got the next size or two down to prevent it rattling against the chassis. It was such a close fit I had to unbolt the water pump pulley to get the new belt on! Solved the problem though. Later I replaced the alternator with a much smaller Denso one, so now there is plenty of clearance.

Jen

Take off the belt and measure it. Then have a look on line and you will probably find a slightly shorter belt that will move it out of the way. Even if you have to put the belt on without the adjuster first, then fit afterwards.

If you take it to someone who has a Gates belt gauge they will be able to give lengths available. There might even be a size on you belt, if it is multirib it will be something like 6PK and then a number which is the lenght

Jeff

A change in belt wont work, as the part of the alternator thats fouling is its pivot point

Rob

Can you lift the mounting upwards and then use a different belt?

Jeff

Yes thats what im probably going to sort, once ive fitted the new engine mounts, i will fab up some new brackets

Rob