Steve's S2000 Build in the USA

kimptos

kimptos

OK, time to open this build thread. Ordered a Mega S2000 last summer and it should finally be arriving this week, having spent what seems to be an eternity sitting on the dock in New Jersey. Was hoping for it to be here at the beginning of the month to coincide with 2 months of leave to build it - best guess it will arrive on Friday and then I am off to New York for a week, so won't be able to get to it until the end of the month. Oh well. 

Will be looking forward to insight from others who have built LHD versions - I took a look at the first half of the build manual, which still doesn't seem to be complete, and the fist thing I see is it is missing the vertical dimension for the location of the centre of the hole for the steering column in the driver's footwell end panel. Does anybody have that measurement? - the manual says this hole should be drilled sooner rather than later, but it's a little difficult to do when you don't know where to drill it.

I am building it primarily as a track car but am interested what others' experience has been titling and registering in the US - I know that requirements differ from state to state and you can register almost anything in Arizona, but I am wondering if the lack of windscreen and wipers causes any problems (perhaps they won't notice).

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kimptos

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

• Andy (Sycho)

• Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Popular Posts

He's back!     Complete with engine protection based on a knock sensor, as well oil and coolant temperature triggers. I also picked up an AEM oil pressure sensor to mount remotely - the guys at S

I also decided I wanted to shorten the gear lever while I wad down at the track. I have a spare transmission sitting in my garage after the first engine mishap, so I decided to take the gear lever mec

7IBUILT   We should try to get one of these in every state!

Posted Images

John Williams - Blyton Organiser

Welcome and good luck with the build!

As for the measurements, someone will be posting shortly, they always do.

Cheers

Panda

SootySport

:ww:  from the UK.    haven't built a car from scratch so I can't answer the steering column holes dilemma.     In the UK not having a windscreen means you really need to wear a helmet to protect yourself from flying stones, insects etc.  A few are happy to wear just aero type goggles.  For myself I fit a windscreen for the road and change to an aeroscreen just for the track.  You don't need wipers if you have an aeroscreened car in the UK, the wind will keep your helmet visor clear.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Welcome.

Personally, I find it one of those holes best positioned to suit the individual car, and haven't ever used a pre-set dimension for it. Any slight variation of the lower spacer on the column mount completely throws the dimension off any way.

I've always done it by sliding the upper "inner" steering column out of the steel tube that normally holds it, then offering that up to the car and using it to mark the position where the hole is required.

Have you downloaded the two part build manual from Westfield's web site? While it's not specific to the Mega S2000, it does give a far more comprehensive guide than the older manuals. (Unless of course you've already been supplied with a pre-printed version!)

kimptos

Thanks for the responses and the welcome.

I do have the two part FW manual, but that doesn't seem to have much for LHD cars if I remember correctly, and I am assuming the S2000 may be different. I had thought about offering up the column as you suggest Dave, but presumably that means waiting until later to do the hole (and prior to fitting the panel, to get the dimensions correct). We will see - perhaps there is a better version of the build manual with the kit. I also got an s2000 specific version sent to me by Westfield, but it is only the first part, and very draft.

Only 2 more sleeps until it is here!

Will post pictures on Friday, so all you UK types can see how they are packed for export,

As for driving with the aero screen, I had assumed a helmet was a must, having driven an Ariel Atom on the track! I am more concerned with the legality - we don't have an IVA type test in Arizona, and I think there are exemptions for home-built cars, it is just difficult to get a precise answer from the local DMV.

Davemk1

Hello - 

Mt name is Dave and I built my S2000 about a year ago and I live in Bozeman, MT USA. My car is a LHD of course and I'm using a full windscreen.

As for the hole location for the steering column.....I found that the best thing to do is to dry fit the panel and hold it in place with clamps and then mock up the steering shaft and mark the panel. I placed masking tape (I went through many rolls of masking tape during the build!) in the area where the hole would be and using a straight edge held up against the steering column made marks on the tape to show where the edge of the column would be. I did this in many places around the column which ended up giving me a very good guideline as to where the oval hole will be. Then it was a matter of making a hole that was slightly too small and test fitting it a number of times to get it just right so that you have a close fit.

This falls in line with a misconception I had about the build. I fully expected the manual would say "measure up X" and over Y" and form the hole for the gas filler/exhaust/exhaust bracket/steering column....etc" but there is nothing of the sort in the manual. At first I thought this was a short coming and then after making said holes i realized that giving those numbers and expecting a good fit would not work. There is just too much tolerance stack to expect that a given hole can be placed just so and that the thing you want to go through it will line right up. So you'll need to figure out where the holes will be. I found that I measured very little and traced a lot. For instance - the fuel filler - with the tank and body work in place you can project the filler neck back and make marks on the inside of the bodywork to use as a guide to making the hole. Then it's test fit and fine tune. I don't think I measured anything in this case.

You get the idea. Let me know if you have any questions about the build and if I can help in any way.

dave

Chris King - Webmaster

As Davemk1 says - it's a case of measure and mark to get the best fit.

For example, I used the measurements in the manual (which one I can't recall!) to mark out where my exhaust would exit - BUT only made the cuts once I had "offered up" the exhaust many times and had measured everything I could using straight edges and tapes and whatever else came to hand to ensure that the marks I had made were accurate. 

It was a nerve wracking moment when the drill went into the VERY pricey brand new body tub!

Oh - and welcome aboard!

kimptos

Thanks Dave and Chris - after the response from Dave Eastwood, I figured the best approach was to measure up without the panel in place and drill the hole accordingly - I like the masking tape approach - I had made a mental note of that after seeing mark Evans do it for his exhaust exit.  Strange the manual would say fit this panel now, seeing as you can only accurately cut the hole once the steering rack is in place. I guess the best approach is to drill the holes, but not rivet it in place at this point.

Dave, did you get the crate delivered on a flatbed, if so how did you get it off? Tom says that the best approach is to slide it off - just want to get another opinion.

Steve

Davemk1

Hey - 

After I made the hole for the steering shaft and got it all tidied up I realized there was a MUCH easier way to do it. take a piece of cardboard and put the proper sized hole in it and with the shaft in place put the cardboard hole over the shaft. Then trace around the cardboard to locate it relative to the area the panel will affix to.......then place the cardboard on the panel, line up your tracing and then trace the hole onto the real panel.

I had my crate delivered to a friend's business where they had a loading dock as the driver said they needed a dock to unload it. But in the end they didn't use it and it was plucked off the truck with a fork lift. They then used the fork lift to put it in a box truck I rented and I bought it home. Once home I opened the crate while it was still in the truck and unloaded it. when the crate was empty I slid it out.

dave

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

You don't need the rack or the lower column sections in place, only the upper tube that bolts on to the scuttle rail and chassis cross member.

kimptos

Thanks all, and especially the idea about the cardboard - sounds like a plan.

S

kimptos

So Mr. Westfield arrived yesterday:

image_zpstohi4hlp.jpg

Can't say I was impressed with the packaging - everything just seemed to be piled into the crate with no care - the wheels and tires were on top of the bonnet, cracking it. The frame was not secured properly, so it had broken loose and popped open one of the sides of the crate, so who knows what I lost as many of the pieces were loose inside (a hose and pipe were sticking out when the driver picked it up). As there wasn't a packing list, I have no clue what was and wasn't there in the first place - they sent me a long list of items that had not been included (rather disappointing, as I had place my order last July). As nothing was labelled, and several bags/boxes were not sealed, I have a feeling this is going to be a frustrating build, with many small parts missing (the crate was built on pallets so there were big holes in the floor).  Will go through everything as best I can today to see if I can identify all the parts - does anybody have a checklist of what should be there?

One thing that did surprise me was this:

image_zpsbejdncwk.jpg

They provided a sump baffle!

No build manual included. I have downloaded part one of the unfinished S2000 draft plus the FW manual, so I am hoping that is enough. However the appendix with the torque settings isn't included. Can anybody send it to me?

One question - should a battery be included in the kit?

Davemk1

Bummer - sorry to hear about the poor packing job. Mine came in two crates - one like you have pictured and a smaller one with the wheels and other stuff. My packing was pretty good. One plastic bag full of stuff wasn't closed at it should have been and spilled it's contents but the floor of the crate was closed and I was able to find everything.

My kit came with endless bags of unlabeled misc hardware which was super frustrating.......and with no complete and up to date manual it was all the more confusing. In the end I must have 15 pounds of bags of random bolts that were not needed in the build. Who knows why they thought to send this stuff.

It took me a few days to get everything laid out in a way that I felt like I had a handle on what I had and what I didn't. I suspect it will be similar in your case. Take your time and make lots of lists and notes.

I did not get a battery with my kit.

Hang in there - the car drives great when on the road.

dave

kimptos

Sounds exactly like mine. Will spend the day going through everything. Interestingly enough there was a standard windscreen included - was not expecting that - bad news was it was shattered!

Looks like I finally have got the embedded video to work!!! 

Davemk1

Did you order a full screen or the low aero screen?

I can't help you with the video embed.

dave