New Top Gear presenter ******** (Lord Give me strength)

SootySport

I think DC would win after a few laps, Sabine has the advantage of local knowledge, but as Blatman says DC got to F1 on talent.

He is also correct that JC is a writer first, it was the Rotherham Advertiser where he learnt his craft which if you read his books his love of words and the use of them is what sets him apart from others. It is the same with James May, again a wordsmith of high order.

I think we will see a different TG will be any good time will tell. You cannot replicate what the three stooges did on Top gear, they elevated it from a motoring show to an entertainment show with cars. 

You cannot replicate what the three stooges did on Top gear, they elevated it from a motoring show to an entertainment show with cars.

Precisely! Moreover it allows us "proper" petrolheads who have an idea of what real acceleration, rear wheel drive and cornering grip (or lack thereof) is about, to live vicariously through their exploits. I have a hankering to try the euro-hoon that took them to Stelvio et al and I'd really like to have a cruise to the Trans-Fergarishon (yeah, like I spelled that right...) Highway in Romania. But failing a personal appearance I'll live it though the Hamster, the Orang Utan and Captain Slow.

• Like 1

I quite like the new line-up.

We were never going to get a like for like replacement for the old guard but this new line-up certainly are car related people.

Everyone looked at James may when he first appeared and said "who's he".

Give it a chance with an open mind and we might be plesently supprised.

Still too young for you Bern!

More importantly - Too experienced  for you!

What occurred to me was that TG gradually became less a petrol head car show hosted by adults who sometimes acted like little boys, than a show about and hosted by naughty miscreants who rarely acted like adults with cars as sometimes supporting actors. The stunts and gags became not only repetitive but unimaginative, patronising and insulting to my intelligence if they expected me to believe they were just accidents, like Clarkson's Citroen CX caravan "accidentally" going over a cliff - sorry, but we're all smarter than that.

Frankly, I don't care who hosts it, as long as it's primarily about cars that excite me, has the production values we've previously enjoyed, is not an episode of the Three Stooges every week, and doesn't treat me like a child with the attention span of a flea on a hot plate with hyperactivity disorder. Make it adult with the odd dose of silly/funny - you can entertain me at the same time as educating me.

One thing for sure - I won't pay Amazon to watch Clarkson get paid £833,333 per episode on Amazon (Past His) Prime.

• Like 2

Pretty much a years BBC salary per episode. I have the feeling the audience won't be very big for them. If it was free they'd have a very good chance. Look at something like F1 Sky vs BBC audiences. If wager the F1 audience is more dedicated than that of a 'light entertainment' show like Top Gear. We'll see.

What you have to remember is the world wide audience top gear had with them. Amazon are a money making machine and they will not have paid that much unless they are sure they will get it back and more. They will not get the same numbers in the UK now but the rest of the world who were paying, will pay as much as before, possibly more if the PC handcuffs are removed in certain parts of the world.

It will be a shock if Amazon have got this wrong

I agree with Jeff. The worldwide audience is huge. I believe TG was the BBC's single biggest money earner with worldwide syndication to over 160 countries. I'll bet TG's global audience isn't that far behind F1's. If the new TG is not a success the Beeb will be needing to save even more money.

I am forced to wonder if the "loss" of old TG is one of the reasons they have dumped F1 to save the £35 million F1 cost them. Maybe Auntie Beeb is hedging it's bets over "new" TG. I wonder how confident that makes the production team feel?

The Three Stooges salary and production costs of "old" TG may well be entirely covered by the worldwide syndication profits. How much profit does the Beeb make on it's £35 million costs for F1?

And the money for the Amazon Prime sub gets you a LOT more than just TG.