Mk 1 MX5 parts wanted.

corsechris

Folks,

I already have a 'wanted' in for a complete car, but as I'm only really after a few bits off one, may as well ask that question as well. I don't know which of these parts (other than the uprights obviously) are normally used on a Mazda SDV build so have no idea what my luck is likely to be with this.

So, from an '89-'97 car please.

All 4 uprights with brakes.

Power steering rack

Steering Column complete with switchgear shroud wheel etc Would also ideally want at least part of the loom that connects to the switchgear, unless anyone knows where suitable connectors can be had.

Handbrake lever and cables

Petrol filler neck

Seats if in OK condition, not too garish a colour

Brake and clutch pedal assemblies complete

Possibly even the wheels?

Thanks for looking.

Chris

Chris, FYI, these are the bits and SDV'er might use or have left over:

All 4 uprights with brakes.  - All used on the SDV kit

Power steering rack - Should be available

Steering Column complete with switchgear shroud wheel etc Would also ideally want at least part of the loom that connects to the switchgear, unless anyone knows where suitable connectors can be had.  - Steering column is used, and so is the loom.  Switchgear shroud may be used if donor instrument cluster is used, so might be available  

Handbrake lever and cables - Used on the SDV kit

Petrol filler neck - Should be available

Seats if in OK condition, not too garish a colour - Should be available

Brake and clutch pedal assemblies complete - Should be available

Possibly even the wheels? - May be used, but no one has fitted OEM wheels AFAIK

HTH

That's really helpful, thank you for that. Might be someone out there with a pile of bits they don't need....

may be on to a complete donor as it happens, but these things have a habit of not working out for me so keeping my options open at the moment.

i have some wheels in the garden

Thanks for the input chaps - appreciated.

I see I've been a bit vague/open to interpretation again, apologies, I'm bad that that  :( ....this build will be super-cheap, the car won't be having any weather gear so will need vinyl seats or the like and any bits will need to be pretty local or I will blow the budget on shipping.

Looking at some of the threads is does seem that buying a whole car and selling on what I don't need is probably the way to go.

So, cheap-ass looking for parts quite local to Evesham/Worcester area......

Hi mate, I can probably sort you out with a filler neck, pedals and potentially wheels. There's tread on the tyres although the wheels themselves aren't exactly pretty. Based in Sutton Coldfield but I drive down the m5 every couple of weeks at the moment so can make a detour if necessary. Let me know if the full donor option doesn't work out for you or if there's other bits you need and we can work out prices etc.

Hi mate, I can probably sort you out with a filler neck, pedals and potentially wheels. There's tread on the tyres although the wheels themselves aren't exactly pretty. Based in Sutton Coldfield but I drive down the m5 every couple of weeks at the moment so can make a detour if necessary. Let me know if the full donor option doesn't work out for you or if there's other bits you need and we can work out prices etc.

Thanks Andrew,

The filler neck is called for on the build, the clutch/brake pedal assemblies are just me having a punt! I saw some pictures of them on Google and thought it might be possible to make use of them if I construct a suitable firewall/bulkhead/frame for them. The design is pretty free and most folk appear to use Wilwood or Tilton pedal boxes. I was looking at DIY this time round to try and control the budget a bit (used Tilton last car I did and it quickly adds up). The very simple, effectively DIY pedal box on the Westy has worked perfectly well without a single issue in our car for 24 years, so I don't really see the need to drop hundreds on a fancy alloy casting if I don't have to.

Decent tyres would be a waste unfortunately so I'll pass on those thanks, I will be needing probably 16" or 17" rims ultimately, was just looking for something V cheap to roll it about on when the time comes.

How much are you looking for, for the pedals & filler neck?

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  How does £30 sound for the pedals and neck?  I should mention mine is a jap import - not sure if it makes a difference.  I'll take a few pictures of the parts and send them over to you if you like too.  I haven't got the filler neck off the car yet but can't imagine it'll be a tough job!

If you do decide you want the wheels, another £30 and they're yours.  There is thread on the tyres but they're mismatched and I don't know how old they are so probably only really good for rolling the car around on anyway.

If you're not in a major rush for them I'll chuck them in the car the next time I'm heading south and I can meet you somewhere near the M5 or else I can bring them along to Stoneleigh.  Whatever is handy!

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew, I should apologise, I've drifted into the decision to go for an entire donor rather than parts but didn't update this thread.

I've PMed Andrew, but for the sake of clarity, please consider this request for parts CLOSED. I will track down an entire donor a bit later in the year once I have the time, space and cash! Need to 'process' the Alfa 166 engine donor first or I will be in serious trouble with handbag control.....

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.