collectable car of the future

litcoat

Hi all, got the chance of a low mileage Toyota Supra for not a lot of money,just wondering if it's the sort of car that will appreciate in value as the years pass like the Ford Cosworths or maybe I should be looking at other models, anybody got any ideas?

Cheers Mark

Probably depends which model :)

I always thought the mk1 mx5's would make a good future classic, especially if you've seen the film 'Looper'

I've been looking into buying a future classic, and a lot of the cars I was looking at a few years ago have shot up in price, but I still think it's a very hit/miss market. I would really like to buy a nice Ferrari 355 or 348 for a future investment (and just for something pleasing to the eye). The Porsche 911 GT3's are increasing rapidly in price. A Sagaris would have been a good buy 5 years ago. With the likes of a MX5, etc, I think you'd really have to find a very low mileage, clean and untouched example, as there are so many out there still, and probably will be for some time. 

• Like 1

the new Cayman GT4 will only go up IMO.

There's a difference between not losing money (on the sale value at least) and being an investment. I'd say the former is much easier to guess than the latter. I usually decide not to buy certain cars about 5 years before they shoot up. Nearly bought a BMW e30 M3 in 2004 but decided an e36 328i Sport would be cheaper to run :(

I was about to suggest the Porsche 944 Turbo, but a quick search suggests that has already happened. Shame cos I've always wanted one :(

The 2.8 supras are on their way up

Had one years ago - cracking car

I've got a 944 lux 1985 owned for the last 25 years on the hope it would go up in value used as a daily runner for the first 14 years then stored got it running this weekend as its only worth £1500 never likely to go up, but may kick myself in 10 years time. It seems only mint sort after models with low mileage and loads of history go up first then the rest will follow in time. I had loads of fun when I used which was what it was all about.

Before I decided to join this lunacy I looked at all sorts of investment grade old cars. The only ones to buy are sensible mileage ORIGINALS with a good history. Although to be honest almost everything worth having has gone off the market or over sensible money. I remember well the days not so long ago when you could hardly give away E28 BMW M535i's now a good one is £6-8k.

I wish I'd thought about this when I was younger, that way I would have kept my mk1 astra gte stuck it in a shed and forgot about it, as far as I was concerned it was the dogs doodas back in the day, but that's life I suppose, hindsight is a funny thing.

Predicting  future car values is a like investing in shares.     The best prediction I can make, is Fast Fords like 70's & '80's RS  models will always go up.     Lotus Cortinas have always been Bankers but have they reached their max values?  not sure they have IMO.

As for Toyota Supras, I would say the turbo models have possible investment value.  If you have a look at the Japanese car market for them, are they sought after over there? If so they  prices will eventually rise over here.