lewis

Lead Acid Battery Low Voltage

lewis

A couple of weeks ago I got a new Leoch L60-N30A-L battery (http://www.norcoenergy.com/shop/product/74-l60-n30l-a-leoch-battery-motorcycle-12v-30ah-30ah-300a-g-vrla). The shop filled it up with the acid for me and it seemed ok. I left the ignition on one night (cars still being built so I usually forget to turn it off) and the battery died. I put a voltmeter on it and got 0v. After charging it all day yesterday and most of today (not overnight) with a CTEK 3.6A charger (http://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-3-6-4-Stage-Multi-Functional/dp/B004TLF4PC) the battery reads around 9.5V whilst charging and around 6.7V when not charging. Charging with a standard halfords 1800cc charger it reads up to 10.5V but then I think it blew the 20A fuse in the charger. Also the CTEK and battery get pretty warm after charging for a while.

Is the battery dead already or does it just need a long charge?

Lawrie

Batteries don't like complete discharge, and a friend destroyed a brand new battery the same way.  His charger also featured "recovery and repair from deep discharge" but the battery was completely dead.  I read somewhere that the repair pulses need an hour per amphour of battery, so I'd keep going for a bit longer, and then take a good look at the guarantee

Lyonspride

Does the charger do both 6v and 12v batteries? It might think it's a 6v battery.

It would be unusual for a new battery to get killed that quickly (but not unheard of).

Also, im assuming your disconnecting it from the car before charging?

XTR2Turbo

It depends how long you left the battery in the 0v condition.

If more than a few days the plates will be sulphated up and you will need to blast them with more voltage for very short periods to try to recover.

Some higher end chargers do have a disulphate mode

lewis

Does the charger do both 6v and 12v batteries? It might think it's a 6v battery.

It would be unusual for a new battery to get killed that quickly (but not unheard of).

Also, im assuming your disconnecting it from the car before charging?

It has a bike, car and winter modes. At first it didn't detect a battery was connected when on car but did on winter, then after a couple of hours it was detected on car mode. It is still wired into the car whilst charging.

It depends how long you left the battery in the 0v condition.

If more than a few days the plates will be sulphated up and you will need to blast them with more voltage for very short periods to try to recover.

Some higher end chargers do have a disulphate mode

It could as been as long as one week in 0v. 

lewis

I took the battery out this morning and its on charge again now. The battery clamp had some acid residue on it and once it was out I noticed I left the vent plug in! When i took it off a load of gas wooshed out. Hopefully there is no damage and it will charge OK.