High Level Third Brake Light

CraigHew

Thanks Dave (and OP) - I thought it was just the module - and I like the led light from CBS - have been thinking about this for a while and the CBS light appears to fit the bill if fitted to the roll bar (I did think of the fitting it to the bodywork just below the boot lip but that'd defeat the object of it being "high level" I guess).

Another project in the pipeline  :)

Oops my mistake, I thought it was the lamp and module together. :blush:

I came across this one yesterday which includes a G force sensor.

http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brake-light-flasher-c-65/vehicle-brake-light-flasher-module-with-brake-force-monitor-p-183.html?zenid=11cf22acc5ddc21c02a9b041af5daef2

Have a look at the 'Download Manual' it certainly has plenty of options.

Very comprehensive, I suppose with virtually all the cars being automatic in the USA their is a lot more soft braking and brake pedal riding so its a logical development!

Very comprehensive, I suppose with virtually all the cars being automatic in the USA their is a lot more soft braking and brake pedal riding so its a logical development!

I wonder if there'd be any interest in group buy?

It's an interesting product, made a bit over complicated and if anything even more confusing if you set some of the options up! But it does look like you could easily set it to behave invisibly except for firm to hard braking, which would be perfect.

Obviously, I'm not fitting my current one till after IVA, so would be very interested in possible bulk deals. (Non committee hat on, would need running past the committee...)

The only other option is to convince Mike to knock up a batch of them :d

I'll add it to the list :-)

3 axis accelerometer chip is a good idea - just calculate the resultant of all 3 axes and if you are braking, can assume it's the deceleration and flash if it's over 0.3g, say.

I suspect most of us aren't really bothered about anything as complicated as the U.S. One is capable of. As you say, I'd simply want one that allowed the high level to turn on and off normally and then for heavier braking, flashed.

I would want it to flash sooner that the production car panic braking levels though. As its other drivers lacking awareness of how quickly a Westfield can stop that the flashing is good for protecting against. 0.3 g sounds a reasonable starting point.

I'll add it to the list :-)

3 axis accelerometer chip is a good idea - just calculate the resultant of all 3 axes and if you are braking, can assume it's the deceleration and flash if it's over 0.3g, say.

Yes! We have Mike on board :t-up:

Like you Dave I agree the US one certainly does have a lot of options that people may not use (although they don't have to use them all of course), but I agree that one which would flash when it detects hard braking as opposed to flashing all the time would be a good compromise.

:)

Install looks great. Living in Canada, land of SUVs, I am tired of SUVs backing up over the front of my Westy (they don't see it in their mirrors as it's so low). In addition to an LED stop light on the back of the roll bar, I was thinking of getting some sort of marker strobe LED lights to go on the front of the roll bar on the left and right sides - configured to flash while the vehicle is parked. Thoughts? Anyone else done this? Maybe it's not needed in Blighty...fewer SUVs (fewer rednecks?) :-)

• 6 years later...
On 12/03/2015 at 21:38, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Most decent ones only trigger once then will not trigger again for a certain time period, I know mines like that. It's aimed at being safer/more discrete in stop start traffic.

I went through several MOTs with it on, though I always fit mine so that bypassing it takes a few minutes if needed. Many production cars have flashing rear brake lights under hard use now anyway, so when it just does it occasionally, then behaves normally, the tester just kind of dismisses it as being too eager on the brakes!

Just reading up on these flashing units. I’d like one that does what you described. Flashes on braking and then for a time after that operates normally. Do you have a link?

1 hour ago, Benrobson2999 said:

Just reading up on these flashing units. I’d like one that does what you described. Flashes on braking and then for a time after that operates normally. Do you have a link?

I've used one of these, does exactly what you want;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Signal-Dynamics-Back-Off-XP-Brake-Light-Signal-Module-1004-/311708637333?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Benrobson2999 said:

I’d like one that does what you described. Flashes on braking and then for a time after that operates normally. Do you have a link?

I've had the eBay advert saved for ten years or so, but unfortunately seems to have finally disappeared.

• Thanks 1