Markfry123

Hi All,

Mark here, new to the forum and want some advise or hopeful seller.

I have a Westfield Wide body, 1996 factory build. it currently has a Xflow engine which has scores in 2 of the bores, pistons are already +0.90 so no room left for rebore.

Considering either news liners and full rebuild or change of engine to Zetec?.

Any one any advise, or selling a good strong engine and accessories.

Many thanks

Mark

Engine swaps are possible and going to a zetec will give a large increase in performance, however don under estimate the cost of a swap - usually in the region of £2500.

I believe new create zetecs are still available from Kit car direct for £750.

I think it depends on what you want to do with your car, and how you want it to drive. And maybe also the style of driving you do.

If you were perfectly happy with your xflow prior to the problems, then it seems easier for you to look for an xflow solution.

If you want something different, well it depends on how much you want to spend.  But its most often cheaper to find something already tuned to the level you want, rather than buying a base level crate engine and getting it tuned up to the level you require.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Did enjoy the Xflow, but needs to be driven hard to get the best out of it. Looking to do some track days so looking for power options.

Spoken to Raceline, but a create Zetec with low line sump, water rails few other bits and bobs to include basic Omex so I can use my twin 40's is looking at over £4k and still need a full exhaust there after.

Not looking to be a cheap skate, happy to spend reasonable money for the right unit. Would prefer to buy a complete set up but open to options.

Mark

Ive got an MX5 engine I'm not doing much with if you wanted to consider that route. You'd also need an ECU (megasquirt is cheap and popular with the mx5 boys, could also use carbs instead), gearbox, clutch/flywheel then a prop to mate the gearbox to your diff. Oh and injection fuel pump if you weren't going carbs, and exhaust manifold or link pipe to use the standard mazda manifold. Exhaust exit is on the same side as the crossflow so that's a bonus.

I watch this with interest as I dont think you get a major gain in performance going to 16v more modern power..  I would stay with the mighty cross flow but i am a little biased :-)

I watch this with interest as I dont think you get a major gain in performance going to 16v more modern power.. I would stay with the mighty cross flow but i am a little biased :-)

Biased or just an old guff who thinks gas lights and sending urchins up a chimney is still OK..?

Sorry, couldn't resist, from a fellow old guff...

I watch this with interest as I dont think you get a major gain in performance going to 16v more modern power..  I would stay with the mighty cross flow but i am a little biased :-)

I guess that depends what spec crossflow you're starting from. I went from a relatively low spec crossflow to a standard 2 litre blacktop zetec. It was a significant increase in performance. :)

yeah i do and other bits.

anyway, as said dont underestimate the costs at all. i said to her indoors... "dont worry its probably going to cost little more than the price of the new engine most bits will swap over"  what she heard was "it will cost way more than that as i will want all fancy swancy bits, im going to say how much, dont worry ill still pay my half of the bills" :d

seriously tho, if you take your time and source bits from members/ebay etc you can keep the costs down considerably. part of the reason mine has gone up in price is mainly due to me modifying bits and buying new bits for the black top. i went a bit crazy ass and replaced pretty much everything. apart from the block.

biggest costs for my swap was starter/alternator+bracket/vvt controller/head polishing.

Thanks all,

Keep the info coming.

I have a 1700 xflow on twin 40's, was blowing a lot of oil so stripped down to find scores in 2 cylinders. As they are at +.90 already they are at max bore. Looked at new liners although speaking to 3 separate companies, this is a risk as they are not press out on standard block and need to be bores out and new liners fitted which could weaken the water ways and result in hot spots and a short life engine.

Like the idea of Zetec, as said open to engines for sale, but it will not be a cheap option unless someone has the whole kit for sale.

Major costs look to be a low line baffled sump £400, complete new exhaust £800+, throttle bodies and ecu if I go that way £1000+ and that's cheap ones.

May stick with the twin 40's to start with if I have too and upgrade later.

Hoping a fellow owner has the whole lot at a good price.

Mark