Sign in to follow this  
cast iron

Viscous Diff - Gear oil

cast iron

Am I right in believing the viscous coupling in the Sierra cosworth syle LSD is a sealed unit with its own oil, within the CWP? And on that assumption you can use any type of "normal" gear oil in the diff housing?

DanDud

yes that's right

• Like 1

Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary

Yup!

• Like 1

CosKev

GL5 oil is all that's needed

• Like 1

cast iron

cheers folks - new diff with new ratio built, will get some 75W90 for it

SootySport

So how do you change the oil within the LSD?  I would have thought that 30 year old oil should have been changed by now.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

A few companies, like Bara Motorsport are able to rebuild/refill the viscous module - it uses a silicon based fluid IIRC, at the same time, they can adjust the "settings" at which it starts to lock. How effective a change this is, in a Westfield, I'm afraid I don't know, I've never tried it.

stephenh

yes, the fluid in the lsd unit isn't an oil at all, it is silicone. And it isn't very fluid either, if you have a jug of it half full you can tip up the jug and it wont run out, at least it will only do so very slowly if you left it tipped up. It is similar product to Katie Price's boobs!

Bara alters the torque transfer effect of the lsd by altering the amount of silicone in the sealed unit and altering the number of little plates in there. Bara earns his money by knowing how many plates and how much silicone and what grade of silicone to use for a given intended use of the diff.  ;)  ;)  ;)

• Like 2

SootySport

I like Stephens description the best, thanks :yes:

cast iron

Just off to Google Katie Prices Boobs, purely for technical reasons of course