Kyle

Orange is the New Black 1600 Mazda SDV Build

Kyle

Hi all, I thought now would be a good time to start a build thread, being as the remains of my old 379bhp Mk1 Focus RS went to its new owner to rebuild today: 

IMAG1426_zps3zdvzuur.jpg

Then was replaced by this:

IMAG1458_zpsmm5hbhkv.jpg

IMAG1460_zpsjih2qj4o.jpg

A 1993 1.6 Eunos with mandatory broken drivers window mechanism, great oil pressure and no need to use one of those nasty catalytic converters. She runs and drives great and is a tidy car tbh, seems a shame to rip it apart  :oops:  :oops:

The date for my kit was originally 14th of March but due to the fibreglass supplier switch it's been put back by a week. That's fine by me as before I collect the kit I need to:

Strip the donor

Clean the garage

Paint the garage floor

Erect garage shelving

Build a trolley to build the car on

Suffice to say I've got plenty to do. I've ordered my kit in hooligan orange, with detachable rear arches and side panels fitted and I'm aiming for a 550kg road-going build. Next up is to compression test the engine.... :t-up:

Mark (smokey mow)

She's a beauty :cool: and with the best engine :)

Mooch

^^^^^What he said!  :d

darve

Now now :d

lewis

Great, another build thread to read! Enjoy the build  :t-up:

• Like 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Great, another build thread to read! Enjoy the build  :t-up:

Absolutely!

Kyle

Thanks guys. Looking forwards to starting but I'm busy for the next few weekends so I'll have little chance to get in t'garage.

Although oil pressure is spot on according to Mx5 forums I compression tested anyway and had an average of the following dry results:

Cyl 1: 14.75 bar

Cyl 2: 14 bar

Cyl 3: 14.5 bar

Cyl 4: 14.5 bar

Cow jumped over the moon with that for an engine with 186000km on the clock. Didn't see the need for a wet test.

Dommo

Don't worry - these engines are largely bullet proof...

... until you put them in a Westfield!

Mine was on 144k miles (230km) before it went in and has stood up to track day abuse fine.

darve

Don't worry - these engines are largely bullet proof...

:oops:  :rolleyes:  :down:  :cry:

:laugh:

Kyle

I'll try my hardest to break it mind! Had some engine troubles darve? :s

Kyle

So, I have mostly been prepping Le Garage including sealing and painting the lovely and only slightly deadly asbestos roof on the inside and murdering the moss with bleach on the outside. The floor is squeeky clean and ready to seal and paint. I'll post pics of the work eventually.

I've also been acquiring a few bits and pieces for the build including a very premature pair of Tillett B6's in GRP. After David gave me the weights of the GRP and GRP/Carbon seats and stated that the difference was mainly aesthetic, it definitely didn't make sense to me to pay nearly an extra £100 for the CF seats. I also ordered a runner for the drivers seat, but not for the passenger of course.

IMAG1430_zpsmwlaowsz.jpg

Furthermore, thanks to Magic for selling me a pair of headlights in chrome. I'll get these powdercoated black with a load of other stuff so I end up with a pair of headlights that are like new for half the price of a new pair from Westfield. It's all money to go towards other areas of the build! I've also received a new Exedy clutch, cover plate, release bearing and flywheel spiggot. I'll be using a TTV Racing lightweight flywheel but I'll not order this until I sell my TTV Racing Zetec flywheel.

IMAG1484_zps4vsc2u1z.jpg

IMAG1488_zpsueuczqhg.jpg

• Like 1

Kyle

Wow, it's been a while...and in this while I've sorted out some storage for the garage, painted the floor and sealed then painted the asbestos cement roof but not the walls in between :getmecoat:

IMAG1563_zpsu6gzsxyn.jpg

Aaaaaand I've ripped into my donor so as of today all of the bits needed from the rear are off (spot the diff housing, prop and bucket of calipers above?), plus the engine, box and looms are out. A couple of pics for the hell of it:

IMAG1606_zpsmaypimx1.jpg

IMAG1607_zpscxyx8got.jpg

IMAG1610_zpsozpjbtno.jpg

So just the handbrake, steering column, front uprights and brakes to take off tomorrow and I have all the bits I need. I'll sell some of the other bits such as panels but I'm not interested in wringing every last penny out of it.

Kyle

Also. A 3kg billet steel flywheel arrived from TTV Racing a few weeks ago. I loved the one I had on my FRS and this is just as sexy:

IMAG1508_zpsvou24th1.jpg

I pick up my kit on Tuesday. Quite excited now! :d  :d

• Like 2

lewis

Also. A 3kg billet steel flywheel arrived from TTV Racing a few weeks ago. I loved the one I had on my FRS and this is just as sexy:

IMAG1508_zpsvou24th1.jpg

I pick up my kit on Tuesday. Quite excited now! :d  :d

That is a nice flywheel! How much did it cost, I can't see pricing on their website.

Kyle