Hayabusa Turbo de/rebuild diary

gee_fin

Young Pretender

You dont hang about.. this is going to be the shortest rebuild thread ever :)

Cracking work!

• Like 1
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gee_fin

• Young Pretender

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

• SootySport

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, you can only stay away so long... I had sold my previous Westfield (R1 engined) many moons ago after a change in the rallying regulations in Barbados rendered it uncompetitive (minimum weight an

The road wheels came back from being painted today. I know coloured bands might not be to everyone's taste, but I just felt it needed it to break up the black a little...       I like 'em, but

Well, finally accomplished what we set out to (initially) do. Fastest 2WD on the island. At the drags yesterday recorded a 7.3s pass (1/8th mile), taking the 2WD record. Not without it's ups and downs

Posted Images

lol that's the plan! Aiming for the first event in March. Currently ahead of schedule, but this is the tropics, shirley something will happen and hold things up...

Colourwise, aiming for JPE yellow. Always a fan of that colour scheme, even liked it on old K2RUM back in the day and hell, why be conservative, the car will have no choice but to be loud and proud.

So looking to match this colour combo :-

img_6334_6933.jpg

the-vossen-world-tour-makes-its-way-to-t

I was originally planning to try and make a road-legal turbo-Busa Radical, but as they went and launched a race series for the full-on spec SR3 RS out here (at $150k US  a car!) I binned off that idea. However, I had already started building my steering wheel for it...

I kinda like building steering wheels, quite good fun. First one in my old car was a simple MyChron 3 with some paddles :-

gf_temp_wheel_1.jpg

With the installation of an MXL there was no need for the display on the wheel and the cabling always annoyed me. So the next step was a cleaner wheel and paddles with all the wiring going through the quick-release connector LEMO (through the hub).

gf_temp_wheel_2.jpg

gf_temp_wheel_3.jpg

Anyways, as mentioned earlier, I had already started putting together the wheel for the next project.

gf_temp_wheel_4.jpg

Debodied Shift-I up top, plan is for low warning lights left, high warning lights right, launch arm, limiter at the top, indicators in the middle, high beam and brake light lower and then rotaries for traction and map/ALS/launch (undecided).

gf_temp_wheel_5.jpg

See if anyone eagle-eyed can figure out the dash display shoe-horned in there?... it's not what you think :d

gf_temp_wheel_6.jpg

Paddles from the F1 Sim guys

Sorting out this birds nest into 22 wires through the Deutsche connector might take me the duration of the rebuild though... urgh.

cast iron

Colourwise, aiming for JPE yellow. Always a fan of that colour scheme, even liked it on old K2RUM back in the day and hell, why be conservative, the car will have no choice but to be loud and proud.

So looking to match this colour combo :-

img_6334_6933.jpg

the-vossen-world-tour-makes-its-way-to-t

Love the 370Z

Young Pretender

See if anyone eagle-eyed can figure out the dash display shoe-horned in there?... it's not what you think :d

Is it a luminescant sticker? 

That it is. An S3 mini running Torque app with the Race Meter plugin - plan to use a Bluetooth OBDII from the SBD loom (I believe they offer a plugin loom addition for OBD). Means I can also run Harrys Lap Timer, Google Maps for when I get lost, any myriad of other lap timing stuff (might even end up writing my own), and get Facebook and Tiger Woods PGA when stuck in traffic :d

I firmly believe ECU makers need to embrace apps/Bluetooth more, it will ALL end up that way, but they're clinging onto these last few years while they can suck the money out of us for these expensive LCD/OLED dashes. Someone will come along with a killer app at some point that renders the MXL, MXG, Motec, Dash 2, etc. all pointless at some point in the next few years, mark my words...

Not much time today, busy as hell this week, so just cleaned up all the rivets, chipped/sanded/cleaned up any flaking powdercoat on the chassis and rust primered the lot this afternoon.

gf_west_chassis_cleanup_1.jpg

gf_west_chassis_cleanup_2.jpg

In an ideal world, it would be a complete strip back to bare chassis and send off for powdercoat, but that's not on the books this refresh, maybe after a few years.

Would like to source a decent angle grinder to chop off those two huge seat belt lugs on the back rail mind you, will search for that tomorrow...

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

The seat belt towers can be a PITA to remove, before the later type chassis where they screw in, the old style weld in ones pass all the way through the chassis rail. Most just ended up cutting them off flush, rather than trying to dig them out completely.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, interesting... will see if I can find a decent enough angle grinder to attempt it, got to be a chunk of weight saving there chopping off those solid blocks...

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Yeah, used to be one of the classic weight saving techniques on the chassis.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a week away on family duties in Bequia so not much progress... however, chassis now painted and finished prep of it.As mentioned, no powdercoating this run, just rust primer and then Rustoleum on the top..

P1290862.jpg

And then spent half of the day getting these released through customs... thank heavens for duty-free motorsport!

carbon_1.jpg

carbon_2.jpg

Bodywork is out of first bodywork man (big holes/etc. patched) and now off to the paint shop for prep and then painting.

Panelling in anger starts this weekend...