Engine crane- loan for a day (within a hours drive of Stoke-on-Trent)

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

I need to get my engine off a pallet and on to my engine stand. I'll hire a crane when it comes to fitting into the chassis, however I could do with a loan of a crane just for an hour to lift the engine. Does anyone within an hours drive of Stoke-on-Trent, have one I could loan?

Thanks,

Ian

• Like 1

If you have an RSJ or an I section steel beam in your garage then i have an electric 1 ton winch that clamps on.

I don't yet.......but was considering it, though it will only get used once and won't be ideal for putting the engine into the chassis as a crane is more maneuverable. Thanks for the prompt offer though.

• Like 1

I've got a crane and a leveller you can borrow, I'm in Congleton, so not too far from SOT, about 45 mins away from the look of it.

When do you need it?

I always struggled with a engine crane.

The way the legs are at an angle never seamed to fit between the front wheels.

The offer is there if you need it.

Stu

Dave, you're a star!

I failed to bolt my engine stand to the block as the clutch is in the way! Amazon are due to deliver a 12 point star socket tomorrow and then I can get the clutch off! I'll make contact again once I'm confident I can bolt the block to the stand. Ideally some time over the hols would be great!

What stage is your car at?

Thanks again,

Ian

• Like 1

No worries.

Tidying wiring at the moment, oh and sanding - don't ask!

In this weather!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I have been rained off a few times.

More unfortunately, after many hours spent prepping the nose cone earlier in the week, (cutting out to fit round the front ARB, bonding in mounts for the grill, a few hours or so spent machine polishing it, waxing etc ready for final fit, a freak gust of wind blew it down the drive while I was test fitting it on the re-worked aluminium nose duct. Of course it didn't land on the blankets Id got out to rest it on. And of course it didn't land sunny side up, but managed to flip over and land on its upper surface.

Two hours with a DA sander and three with the wet and dry so far. Will machine polish and see how it's looking...

I've got the worst fixed, but unfortunately the gel coat layer on Westfield grp just isn't as (madly) thick as it used to be in the old days, there's a limit on how much sanding can be done. I'm pretty much at the course sanding limit now, though it will take a bit more wet and dry if necessary.

Sorry to hear that Dave,

All to often the only damage that is done to your car during its life is during the build.

I don't yet.......but was considering it, though it will only get used once and won't be ideal for putting the engine into the chassis as a crane is more maneuverable. Thanks for the prompt offer though.

I use an RSJ with a girder trolley and chain hoist and find it much more manoeuvrable than a floor standing engine crane, my garage floor is quite rough so the small wheels on the cranes don't roll over it that easily. It also takes up a lot less room in the garage :)

IMG_2984.jpg

• Like 1

@Dave, that's aweful. I hope you manage to repair it satisfactorily.

@Mark, that video is ace!

@the others. You're all very kind I just need the snow to disappear then I've a chance of getting out of our estate! Lex won't replace my tyres until 2mm and they are about 2.5mm with 225 width in snow isnt fun!

• Like 1

Dave,

If Amazon let you down with the Star socket I have a set you could borrow in Millmeece (Approx 1/2 way between Stoke and Stafford)

Happy New Year

Steve

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.