Front Brake Upgrade

Mike_B

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

They also don't seem to have the visible cap head bolts holding the two halves of the Caliper together on the larger Race Caliper.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

• SootySport

• CrisisWolf

• Steve M

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Decent brake pads should do the job nicely.   The Cortina brakes are more than powerful enough - the only worthwhile upgrade are the AP racing big brake kit and this costs some serious money; being

Thats the thing though, the only point many owners change to a higher performance pad is when changing callipers! So it's hard to know what part of the change is responsible for what, if you see what

If you have the standard Cortina front and Golf/Sierra rear brakes, they should be well up to the job. The problem will lie with the master cylinder, pads, brake fluid, or even failing brake piston se

Has anyone feedback on the three westfield offered brakes? AP vs race vs hispec. How do they each compare, what are their respective piston areas? The AP and race calipers are similar money so do they give very similar performance?

Cheers

SootySport

The Hi Speck Ultralites are just a direct replacement for the M16 callipers so braking performance is about the same. They do give a significant weight reduction and are the lightest you can get.  One small negative is they do flex a bit  and wear the pads slightly unevenly.  They are adequate for the road and occasional trackday.    AP and Race callipers are a bit more beefy and will work better on the track but then they should as they cost more. You get what yer pay for as usual.

Rush Motorsport

Sooty are the ultralites any worse on track than standard m16s?

SootySport

I would say they work the same Russ.   I do 8 to 10 trackdays a year and only changed them to Ultralite because the M16 seals had started to weep. Just wanted a modern calliper that is easy to clean.

Terryathome

What happened to the Hispec ones flexing on track days? I seem to remember a post about these some time ago (steveD rings a bell) I think it was mentioned that some car company stopped installing Hispec due to problems.

In fact it was that post that made me go for the Wilwoods instead of the Hispec.

Terry

Hi Spec make a big range of callipers, a few people have had issues with flex on the Ultralight model - a particularly light weight calliper, intended for very light weight cars - Westfields are at the top end of the recommended weight range for them.

Personally, I had no issues with flex in seven or eight years of reasonably heavy use. But I know a few who did.

That said, the AP callipers I changed to were a big step up, though given the price difference, they should be!

SootySport

What happened to the Hispec ones flexing on track days? I seem to remember a post about these some time ago (steveD rings a bell) I think it was mentioned that some car company stopped installing Hispec due to problems.

In fact it was that post that made me go for the Wilwoods instead of the Hispec.

Terry

See my post 35

Apologies for slight thread hijack & apologies for the poor picture, my car is still at N.Motorsport

I presume I have the bigger Westfield front brakes on my car ?

How would I go about ordering Mintex 1144 pads?

Steve

8B1BC10B-6B7C-42B7-BB36-48F145DACB1C.png

After a bit of research it turns out I have the 'Westfield big brake upgrade' which are Hi-spec 285 mm discs & Hi- spec billet 4 calipers

Can anyone offer any advice on EBC brake pads & which colour suits our Westfields for quick road use & occasional track days ?

SootySport

After a bit of research it turns out I have the 'Westfield big brake upgrade' which are Hi-spec 285 mm discs & Hi- spec billet 4 calipers

Can anyone offer any advice on EBC brake pads & which colour suits our Westfields for quick road use & occasional track days ?

I would steer away from EBC pads, not that good a consistency, although a couple on this forum swear by them.  I've gone with the many times recommended, tried and tested Mintex 1144.

I changed to EBC Greens in the M16 callipers and they made a big improvement over standard pads.  I then went to CAT/HiSpec 4 pots and could only get Mintex, and the expected improvement didn't happen, so I bought some EBC Greens, and it got worse, so I went back to the Mintex.

For the cost of the posh callipers, you need to get this right - has nobody said Pagid? :d

Don't the (race) callipers you've got come with Ferodo DS3000?

A few people swear by the EBC pads on here, most swear at them!

Pagid and Carbone Lorraine seem to come highly recommended where money is no object.

how many miles have you got on the Ferodo pads, by the way. I found the DS2500 needed a fair bit of running in on the road. (With performance improving steadily all the time, note, I'm mean running in AFTER the initial bedding in process).

SootySport

Don't think SteveM has said if he needs pads for- Just the road, road and track or full race pads.   This info on use, would help.