Front Brake Upgrade

Mike_B

SootySport

Apologies for slight thread hijack & apologies for the poor picture, my car is still at N.Motorsport

I presume I have the bigger Westfield front brakes on my car ?

How would I go about ordering Mintex 1144 pads?

Steve

8B1BC10B-6B7C-42B7-BB36-48F145DACB1C.png

They look like Hi Spec calipers,     You can buy Mintex pads direct from them http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/    I do.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

• SootySport

• CrisisWolf

• Steve M

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Decent brake pads should do the job nicely.   The Cortina brakes are more than powerful enough - the only worthwhile upgrade are the AP racing big brake kit and this costs some serious money; being

Thats the thing though, the only point many owners change to a higher performance pad is when changing callipers! So it's hard to know what part of the change is responsible for what, if you see what

If you have the standard Cortina front and Golf/Sierra rear brakes, they should be well up to the job. The problem will lie with the master cylinder, pads, brake fluid, or even failing brake piston se

CrisisWolf

Hi Spec Calipers are direct replacements for N16 calipers (size wise) so they take the sane brake pads dont they?

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Hi Spec Calipers are direct replacements for N16 calipers (size wise) so they take the sane brake pads dont they?

No, completely different pad I'm afraid. 

Westfield now do two completely different sets of front Hi Spec callipers; the "standard" M16 replacement type, which are Hi Spec Ultralights's with Westfield branding. If I remember from when I used to have a set, they take either one of the Lotus Elise variant front pads, or I think they may also be an Impreza rear pad.

The other option is what Westfield call their (non AP) Race Calliper, these I seem to remember being told are actualy used in one of the Radical Race series, and were much beefier than the Utralights. IIRC WF were selling them with Ferodo DS3000 pads. I'd be 99% sure they're probably a different pad again to the smaller Ultralight.

CrisisWolf

Mine have the Westfield branding - tbc. Will need to measure/check to work out what I'll need in future.

In which case - I have a pair of front brand new Mintex pads for sale! Offers please :-)

As said above, i have M16 calipers and changed standard pads to Mintex 1144 and totally transformed the braking.. Got the pads from rally design

Hth

Greggs..

All Westfield supplied front four pots have (normally have) Westfield branding:

Westfield AP Race callipers -

123-700x700.jpg

Westfield Race Callipers, (made by Hi Spec)

1%20A%20BIG%20BRAKE-700x700.jpg

Westfield "standard" M16 replacement calipers -

front%20calipers-700x700.jpg

CrisisWolf

How can you tell the difference? AP have their branding but otherwise hard to tell. Mine have HiSpec engraved on the back face. So my Miltex spare pads for M16 are no good?

The two Hi Spec designs only say Westfield on them, the Ultralight (standard M16 replacement) is quite small and delicate looking, and very light. They are lug mount, so the two mounting lugs are integral to the body of the calipers, just like the original M16's. They are normally supplied for non-vented discs.

The Hi Spec race calipers are much chunkier, going off the sales web sites photo (below), they are radial mount; IE don't have integral lugs, but instead have an aluminium block that bolts on the side (radially) this block then bolts to the upright. The kit also seems to use bigger, vented discs. Additionally, I can't quite make out in the photos, but I think the race calipers have bridge pipes joining the two halves. (Near the bottom of each Caliper.)

Race Caliper kit:

1%20a%20BIG%20BRAKE%20FRONT-700x700.JPG

Apologies for slight thread hijack & apologies for the poor picture, my car is still at N.Motorsport

Steve

Those look more like the smaller Ultralite type to me. (I'd want to see a bit more detail to be sure though!)

CrisisWolf

Dont know if this helps but mine are difect M16 replacements with the same integral lugs:

2014-12-07%2014.26.18.jpg?dl=0

Confused?  These look like my CAT motorsport callipers.  They take an Elise pad, a solid Cortina disc and are a direct replacement for the M16 calliper.

Some say they are made by Hi-Spec, and may have the name "Westfield" on them.

Andy (Sycho)

Steve

They look like the bigger hi spec to me, mine are the smaller type with solid discs. Have they got vented discs?

91B017D0-B8F2-4B31-8FEB-1AFE777ADAFC_zps

CrisisWolf

Sycho mine loom about the same. Westfield on front - HiSpec on back. Solid discs. 245mm discs I think.