Front Brake Upgrade

Mike_B

Dear all, my 98 seiw has unimpressive braking, I think I'm running cortina front calipers. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced upgrade option?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

• SootySport

• CrisisWolf

• Steve M

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Decent brake pads should do the job nicely.   The Cortina brakes are more than powerful enough - the only worthwhile upgrade are the AP racing big brake kit and this costs some serious money; being

Thats the thing though, the only point many owners change to a higher performance pad is when changing callipers! So it's hard to know what part of the change is responsible for what, if you see what

If you have the standard Cortina front and Golf/Sierra rear brakes, they should be well up to the job. The problem will lie with the master cylinder, pads, brake fluid, or even failing brake piston se

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

I'd check what pads you've got in there first. You'd be surprised how few of the alternative four pot callipers people upgrade too actually offer "better" braking than M16's in decent condition.

Assuming the callipers themselves and the rest of the braking system is working OK, many people find its the choice of pad material as much as anything giving the poor results.

• Like 1
BLiNK Motorsport

Decent brake pads should do the job nicely.

The Cortina brakes are more than powerful enough - the only worthwhile upgrade are the AP racing big brake kit and this costs some serious money; being a vented disc makes them more suitable for trackday use - most Westies do not require a vented front disc.

The other kits will not improve your braking power (they might reduce it as pad selection is limited) because they have the same size piston area or less than the Cortina brakes and run the same size brake disc.

They slightly improve unsprung weight but unless you are competing at the highest level isn't (or shouldn't be) a major factor in your decision making.

They add a nice bit of 'bling' though!

Stick with a Pad compound change and ensure your brakes are working correctly - there is a big difference between a servo assisted pedal in your road car and a 'shove it hard' but more feel in your Westfield!

HTH

(Beat me to it Dave!)

• Like 2

The only extra I'd add to that is that Westfield themselves have come up with an alternative to the AP callipers that's damned impressive - they list as the Hi Spec Race calliper option. These are not just Ultralights with an aggressive pad! They are a much physically bigger, stronger caliper, iirc derived from one used in a Radical race series.

But your first step should be to find out what you've got, and make sure the brakes themselves, (inc master cylinder) are all working OK.

• Like 1

Well after my first track day a few months ago the standard set up I had began to fail quite fast so by the end of the hour on track I had to brake earlier and earlier. After this I changed to drilled and grooved standard size discs with Wilwood 4 pot calipers and Mintex 1144 pads............now it stops! a bit of a squeal at times but doesn't bother me. Got calipers and pads from RD can't remember who I got the discs from.  Now just need the weather to dry up and get it back out on the track again 

• Like 1

Well after my first track day a few months ago the standard set up I had began to fail quite fast so by the end of the hour on track I had to brake earlier and earlier. After this I changed to drilled and grooved standard size discs with Wilwood 4 pot calipers and Mintex 1144 pads............now it stops! a bit of a squeal at times but doesn't bother me. Got calipers and pads from RD can't remember who I got the discs from.  Now just need the weather to dry up and get it back out on the track again 

Thats the thing though, the only point many owners change to a higher performance pad is when changing callipers! So it's hard to know what part of the change is responsible for what, if you see what I mean! And of course, a calliper change means bleeding the brakes too!

There's nothing "wrong" with changing to four-pot callipers of course, you get the benefit of a much lighter calliper, and a brand new calliper, so new seals, pistons etc. Though you can then end up chasing your tail with master cylinder changes/brake pro portioning valves to get the pedal travel and front/rear balance right.

The Mintex 1144 are a great fast road/light to medium track day pad, though as Clansman points out, they can squeal like a good un at times.

• Like 2
SootySport

If you have the standard Cortina front and Golf/Sierra rear brakes, they should be well up to the job. The problem will lie with the master cylinder, pads, brake fluid, or even failing brake piston seals.  We don't know the history of the car , if the car is seldom driven things like brakes suffer through lack of use.  

• Like 2
CrisisWolf

The only extra I'd add to that is that Westfield themselves have come up with an alternative to the AP callipers that's damned impressive - they list as the Hi Spec Race calliper option. These are not just Ultralights with an aggressive pad! They are a much physically bigger, stronger caliper, iirc derived from one used in a Radical race series.

They do look nice - and they do the job. I didn't find anything bad about the M16s but having just fitted the Hi Specs (still bedding in so not been too heavy) feel great. Pedal feel much improved and its not all in the final inch.

• Like 1
Ian Tolfree (tolf) - WSCC AO Rep

Another vote for the Mintex 1144 pads, great stopping power

• Like 1

Apologies for slight thread hijack & apologies for the poor picture, my car is still at N.Motorsport

I presume I have the bigger Westfield front brakes on my car ?

How would I go about ordering Mintex 1144 pads?

Steve

8B1BC10B-6B7C-42B7-BB36-48F145DACB1C.png

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, I think new pads and fluid change are a good start.

The pedal is not too soft so maybe it is just the pads.

Mintex 1144 pads are good for fast road light track use?

Welly Jen

Thanks for all the replies, I think new pads and fluid change are a good start.

The pedal is not too soft so maybe it is just the pads.

Mintex 1144 pads are good for fast road light track use?

Yes I have 1144 pads in M16 calipers on my car., Excellent stopping power on the road. Only down side is they do squeal sometimes.

Jen

carbon-nv

Definitely. They stop great from cold and I've only ever felt any fade after quite a few hard laps on track

Terryathome

Will asumme that you disc's are scored and need replacing? cost of £20 to £30 set to replace is a no brainer then 1144's all round.

Options?

4 pot Wilwoods on the front and GTI's on the back and 1144's all round. Including all new disc's on the front (bigger 285mm diameter) rears standard size. AP master cylinder. Just a suggestion?

Squeling brakes go away if you drive it like you stole it

Terry

• Like 1