HPI Check - sold my car apparently

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Just had a letter from HPI Ltd (www.hpicheck.com/nmr) titled National Mileage Register

It says I have recently sold my beamer, which I have not !!! So they are conducting a routine mileage investigation...

So as I have not sold my vehicle what is going on?

Any thoughts before I ring them

It's not that scam doing the rounds where you call a premium rate number and get charge a huge amount is it?

David

Car been cloned with your number plate ?!

that was my first thought - would have to be a gullible buyer though without a logo book?

mmm visit here and all looks good - https://www.hpicheck.com/

asks me to visit www.hpicheck.com/nmr on the letter and takes me here https://ds.hpicheck.com/marlin/nmr.do

That address isn't the same as HPIChecks at all. Forget anything but the name in front of the final dot and the domain code after it. In the case above, the actual page linked to is being hosted at nmr.do (and even that might just be the start of a trail of false addresses) the .do domain is for the Dominican Republic!

that was my first thought - would have to be a gullible buyer though without a logo book?

Very true but I think sadly it does happen, they are very smart as we all know and could well have a false V5 .......hope it is all above board though. 

I'd google HPI and confirm address and contact details ..........just in case

ok just phoned the number on the 1st website - they asked if you have recently had your car in at a garage for either service work, MOT or looking at part Exchanging the vehicle - she said if you have the dealer can sometimes jump the gun

pfft - so I wonder which dealer that was then

I have had my car serviced recently and I have also been to three dealers looking at new cars :angry:

That address isn't the same as HPIChecks at all. Forget anything but the name in front of the final dot and the domain code after it. In the case above, the actual page linked to is being hosted at nmr.do (and even that might just be the start of a trail of false addresses) the .do domain is for the Dominican Republic!

Actually, unfotunately .do is the standard file extension for Struts Java platform.

The domain is correct, it is the HPI check domain. So either the site has been hacked and is now hosting a hidden dodgy webpage OR somebody has just sold a clone of your car OR you own the clone OR.......

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, comunit said:

Check your car with They are cheaper than HPI with lot of free information

After 5 years I expect Cleegy will have sold the car by now.  :d

• Haha 2