Valentinik

Valentinik's Duratec Build

Yesterday i went over to westfield and placed an order for a kit. I've decided to go for an FW body, a couple of the other things i ordered was wide track front suspension, chassis provision for a full cage, quick rack and westfield complete alumium upright,hubs and calipers.

Im going to be using a 2L duratec from an ST150 fiesta with an Mk3 mx5 gearbox, westfield don't offer a chassis for this engine/gearbox setup so I'm going to have to fabricate the gearbox mount myself. Although they use the mx5 gearbox and diff in a chassis, a few of the guys there reassure me the chassis is nowhere near the same as the one for mounting a duratec so its up to me to make it work.

The kit will be ready for collection around the beginning of february but I'm told il get a definite date this week. So until then, il be working on the engine and gearbox.

A few pictures of what i've done so far:

Mx5 Box mounted to engine :

1959264_10152376875835966_83610553198548

Engine started to be stripped for cleaning, painting and a little bit of modification. The oil filter will be moved by using a filter relocation kit, and the st150 sump will be replaced with the mx5 item. The cam cover will be removed and power coated, and the point which the fiesta engine mount will be removed on the miller to make it look as tidy as possible.

IMG_0403_zps398dcd3c.jpg

GSXR1000 itbs stripped and parts not needed removed:

1466049_10152411883900966_14113421960329

How they stand now, i just need to fill the holes left from the secondary butterflies and injector ports, as i won't be using these. I just need to make up some spacers from some 12mm aluminium bar on the lathe, to space them to suit the duratecs port spacing.

IMG_0401_zps64c93a18.jpg

If anyone can see any mistakes/oversights i ever make, please feel free to comment. I am open to criticism, all opinions are welcome.

Mike

Fascinating project. 

Using the MX5 sump, will you not suffer the issues the MX5 SDV Kit builders do, with getting it modified? (It always seems to be one of the areas of build threads on the Mazda kit that just cries out for a better solution)

Fascinating project.

Using the MX5 sump, will you not suffer the issues the MX5 SDV Kit builders do, with getting it modified? (It always seems to be one of the areas of build threads on the Mazda kit that just cries out for a better solution)

The sump used on the sdv Mazda kit is from the bp/b6 engines from the mk1 and mk2 mx5s. The sump il be using is from the mk3 which is just an 10 degree angled version of the duratec sump. So I shouldn't have any clearance issues with it.

Mike

Cool project... :t-up:  and I like guys with a lathe :yes: !

How about the intake manifold, what will you use?
Cheers.

Jos

Interesting project, can you explain please why you chose an mx5 gear box rather than one of the usual Ford suspects?

Cool project... :t-up: and I like guys with a lathe :yes: !

How about the intake manifold, what will you use?

Cheers.

Jos

I'm just deciding between buying a ready made one from danstengineering or cutting a flange from some aluminium plate and tube and welding one up myself.

Interesting project, can you explain please why you chose an mx5 gear box rather than one of the usual Ford suspects?

The reason for the mx5 gearbox was is bolts straight up to the duratec without a bell housing and I decided if I bought a type 9 then it would have made sense to have it rebuilt. Which I'm not confident enough to do it myself. That and the mx5 gearbox was from a 2008 car and has only done 33k and I paid £150 for it posted

Mike

A question if anyone knows.

I am under the impression the location of the oil filter as is will not clear the chassis. Is this correct?

If so will the raceline item allow enough chassis clearance?

http://www.racelineonline.co.uk/products/part_section.asp?SectionID=18&CategoryID=1

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Valentinik

If Mike is the same guy I am thinking of (mazda MP62 supercharger build?) then you will be extremely impressed with his machining skills - they are outstanding!

That's the thread he linked to I think. :yes::d

Just read the whole thing  :blush: shame the picture links don't work at the start  :d

shame the project never got dyno'd  :)

If Mike is the same guy I am thinking of (mazda MP62 supercharger build?) then you will be extremely impressed with his machining skills - they are outstanding!

Yes that's me. If you recall you did the head and bored the block for the engine build and set up he suspension on my car. Il be coming back to you when this one is ready.

Just read the whole thing  :blush: shame the picture links don't work at the start  :d

shame the project never got dyno'd  :)

Yeah it is a shame I never got to see a power figure but I knew the time was right to sell the car and the dyno wouldn't have made it worth anymore money. Unfortunately it was worth a lot less as a complete car than in bits. I was offered £5k for the car complete and the total of the bits I sold came to just under £8.5k

Mike

• Like 1

I was planning on completing the engine while I was waiting for the kit to be produced. However after speaking to westfield today, we came to an agreement that if I supply them with my engine and gearbox they will produce me an altered chassis free of charge, so that they can start offering the duratec and mx5 gearbox as an option on the kits

It looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of work around the house :banghead:

Mike

:laugh:

I know as far back as Julian and Simon's Area tour, I remember asking what would be used to replace the ageing Ford gearbox and diff supply; specially as Caterham had just gone down the BMW diff route and were still having some teething troubles (sorted now). This was exactly the solution they proposed; MX5 box and diff.

Great to see the idea move forward and well done for being part of it.