IanK (Bagpuss)

Hi

Yesterday I bought a 48K engine and gearbox (+loom, ancillaries etc). I was able to compression test the engine and hear it running too. Car was a 2004 plate.

14wtv14.jpg

i2onrl.jpg

Car had light damage to passenger side (looks like it had spun). One of the half shafts was out so couldn't move the car under it's own power. Though all gears tested as okay with no load.

Oil was clean, coolant and air filter looked healthy too. Four good same brand tyres on car too, so looks like it had a good life until it spun!

No timing chain rattle on cold start up either!

Based on how nice Lloydox's car looks. I've gone for white body with black cycle wing and rear carbon effect stone guards.

My spec so far is:

wide track, front and rear roll bars, LSD, performance brake upgrade, Protech Shocks, Sports Turbo seats (black with white piping), black harnesses, black wheels, digi dash, MSA half cage, FW rear body and diffuser, powder coated panels.

I've taken the lazy option of having the factory fit the panels, brake lines and fuel lines. Kit due for collection late Jan 15 / early Feb 15.

6carjon

Sounds great , a lovely engine and gearbox just waiting for a small light car !

• Like 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Should look superb, Phil's car looks really good in the white and black - the photos don't do it justice, good as they look!

That's a nice set of options, and a fair choice on the panelling - you do have to be a bit of a masochist to do it your self. Having the metal lines run as well gets one of my own least favourite jobs out of the way!

Great to see another build thread too, looking forward to the next instalment...

:yes::d

• Like 1

Rednop1

one real must with these engine is run them for at least 20 minutes as the timing chain tensioner  can sometime only start making the dreaded rattle after about 20 minutes of running  but its not a big job if you need to replace it

ash

• Like 1

Steve M

Good luck with it!!

White seems to be the 'now' colour, I would go for white too on a new build

Looking forward to hearing more about your progression with it : )

• Like 1

Stu Faulkner

:t-up:  :t-up: YES :t-up:  :t-up:

Another S2000 build.

Theres a few coming to an end so theres a vacancy for a new one.

Don't forget the pictures.

Stu.

• Like 1

lloydox

good to see another S2000 build thread starting

this site is a world of info so you'll have no problems with the build  

If you're ever up near warrington pop in and have a look at mine 

• Like 1

Andy Bray

Yes, good to see a new S2000 build starting off!  Good luck with it Ian and I recommend you read everything on the existing S2000 build threads - there's lots of lessons learned!

Andy

• Like 1

IanK (Bagpuss)

Thanks Andy, I've had a quick look at your excellent build thread,  but have plenty of time to read it again in more detail and make notes whilst waiting for my kit!

IanK (Bagpuss)

My empty garage isn't looking so emtpy.

r9j5mr.jpg

e7cv2u.jpg

• Like 1

IanK (Bagpuss)

Breaker shipped the engine with the throttle body off and two studs missing from the inlet manifold to the throttle body. I saw the car this time last week with the throttle body on and can't understand why it's been removed for shipment. Unless it was borrowed/stolen for another drive by wire engine! 

IanK (Bagpuss)

The breaker's answer...........the throttle body was broke during removal(looks like they've lifted the engine out with a seatbelt fastened round the alternator and the exhaust manifold) and they've supplied one off another car..............slightly defeats the purpose of me seeing it running last week. However not much I can do now!

k9uj9d.jpg

lloydox

What a bunch of animals :(

May be wrong here but don't think you can use the drive by wire throttle anyway as it's controlled by the standard ecu and S2000 throttle pedal so you're gonnna need a cable throttle body anyway 

Animals indeed, though it was a bit of a hunt, I seem to remember to find hard points to lift by.

If using the Honda throttle body with WF factory supplied ready mapped Omex ecu It is indeed for the non-drive by wire versions.

Yon need more than just the throttle body if converting to cable throttle too; you also need the inlet manifold with idle control valve, various little plumbing bits to suit, (vacuum and water) along with the loom. (For the IACV electrical connector, and Any others that are different)

Of course, it would be a perfect opportunity to upgrade to a set of Jenvey throttle bodies!