mi7rennie

MX5 SDV wiring of Venom 5 function LED headlamps

mi7rennie

Hi Folks,

I've gone an bought a set of venom 5 function lamps to replace the standard headlamps and indicator pods on our mx5 SDV.

Has anyone got experience of wiring these up as they are a bit different to the standard lamps.

Mike

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Yes, but my notes are in the garage. Will try and remember to look them out.

mi7rennie

Cheers Dave.

Damn, notes seem to have gone AWOL, so just hitched a battery up to one of the lights and re-checked them. (i don't trust my memory with stuff like this! :oops: ).

The Venom's are different to H4 headlamps in that they have only one lamp for the head light, so it's always lit when the lights are on, irrespective of whether you're on dipped or main beam. Switching between dipped and main patterns is done with a little solenoid, which drops a flap for main beam, or lets it raise to cut off some of the lamps output for dipped setting. The solenoid requires 12 Volt to "hold it down" when main beam is turned on.

So,

You have two groups of wires, (removed a light from the car, as it's easier to show!)

IMAGE_102.jpg

The first group is for the "secondary functions", and is all thin gauge.

You have:

Black - Common ground

Yellow - indicator

Brown - side light (white LED on dim)

White - DRL (white LED on bright)

You then have the group for the "head lamp functions".

IMAGE_101.jpg

This side is slightly counter intuitive - if you're not aware how the lights work!

It has:

Heavy Gauge red - this is the 12 Volt feed to the main lamp and is common to both dipped and main beam. (there's only one bulb, unlike conventional Westfield lights which switch between two sets of filaments in one housing)

Heavy Gauge black - ground for the main lamp.

Thin Gauge red - 12 Volt trigger to main beam solenoid

Thin Gauge red - Ground for main beam solenoid. (The solenoid isn't polarity sensitive, so one goes to ground, one to a latching 12 Volt power feed).

IMAGE_103.jpg

Hope that helps.

gparker

The Mazda's wiring powers either the main beam circuit or the dipped beam circuit, never both. This doesn't work with the Venom's main beam. I modified my Mazda loom and instrument cluster to control Venom's main/dip just like the original headlights. I'll write up a description.

mi7rennie

Thanks for the help so far lads, gparker I'd appreciate that!

The Mazda's wiring powers either the main beam circuit or the dipped beam circuit, never both. This doesn't work with the Venom's main beam. I modified my Mazda loom and instrument cluster to control Venom's main/dip just like the original headlights. I'll write up a description.

This is the same with all the H4 head lamps fitted to Westfields, none have main and dipped beam on at the same time, it would burn out the lamp.

With standard Westfield switch gear, it's just a case of taking the feed to the main/dipped toggle that originally came from the Off/Sidelamp/Headlamp switch and feeding its output to the heavy red wire of the Venoms - that way the lamp is always powered when headlamps are selected. The old main/dipped toggle switch now needs an ignition live 12 Volt feed to one side, while the other terminal connects to one of the thin gauge red wires on the Venoms. (the other thin red goes to ground). This will then trigger the main beam flap, when required.

gparker

That arrangement spoils the Mazda's passing switch. Pulling the passing switch is supposed to flash the main beam even if the headlamp switch is off. Wiring the Venom that way would leave the lamp off.