Updating an old school windscreen with studs

gary marsh

gary marsh

Hi chaps,

Not exactly very technical or sophisticated engineering, but need guidance anyway.

The windscreen and hood are probably about the only thing on my Westie that date back to its 1991 origins and as such, they have the studs along the top of the screen rather than using the channel fitting.

I never really use the full hood and was looking at getting a half hood instead. Rather than fitting a whole row of poppers into a nice shiny half hood, can I convert across to a channel?  Is it just a case of removing the studs and filling the holes with some flush countersunk bolts?

and....should I ever want to use the old full wet weather gear again, is there anyway of converting it to work with a channel.

Sorry to be ignorant but when studying other peoples cars I can't say the hood fixings have ever been high on my priorities.

Thx

Gary

SootySport

You'll still need to retain the studs on the outside corners of the windscreen frame otherwise the channel is only held on by one screw in the centre.  Pistol Pete had his full hood cut down to make a half hood and was cheap.

Pistol Pete

I did but it didn't really lose the old school look. It is also quite functional and for carry on regardless, the offical half hood looks much better.