slow motion

dombanks

is it possible to use a standard webcam and make slow motion video? i have a little usb microscope jobbie and i want to be able to take a video of a moving particle and then look at it frame by frame to see how it behaves. obviously i dont have a 100fps or more video camera so iwondered if there was any software that could do it?

The framerate is instrinsic to the capture device, not the post-process software,so as you have identifed, you need a fast framerate to slow the motion, so unless your camera supports a very high framerate, you'll just miss the action between one frame and the next.

Only way I can imagine it working is if you had a reliably repeatable process you could capture at normal frame rates but synchronised to different points in time in the process, then stitch frames from different event captures together to create a slo-mo out of many takes. Bit like frame stacking is used for low-light stuff.

Or, in short. No :(

After Effects will make a reasonable stab at interpolating the missing frames. Try to get as much light on the subject as possible as that will force the camera to use a fast exposure - that way each image will be as sharp as possible and the interpolation will be better.

i was looking at a few of those programs and although a little bit of interpolation wont be too bad we cant have much as we are looking for effects rather than just a smooth slow down. ...

its the macro thats the biggest issue it seems. if you want to take vid of some sport or the like there are a number of inexpensive(<500) bits of kit that would be great.

daft as it sounds an iphone 5s and one of those little bolt on lenses would do the trick for now :) apparently it can do 120fps!

If it's proper scientific stuff you'll get better results if you hire someone with the right kit - and that includes the right lighting as well as the right camera. We use a guy from Manchester for our high speed stuff. He can go up to tens of thousands of frames per second. Look for Phantom Flex in Google to find someone local to you.