Help required please!

jam19641960

Hi all

I am the owner of a sad but loved, SEI wide body 1992 with a X flow engine bored out to 1800cc with twin webber carbs. I parked this about six years ago in a container as I had to move to Ireland. I have recently had someone look at it and I have been told that the moisture in the container has sized the engine. I don't have the time or ability to do anything with this. Would people on the forum be able to give me a rough estimate of its value as is ( A project) otherwise the car  is in good nick and used to handle like a dream and I have taken it to Les Mans on a number of occasions.

any help much appreciated.

Mark

• Like 1

if it has a V5 and is correctly registered I would offer you £1750 as it is as a project.  Get it running and MOT'd - might fetch £4.5….. it is might cross flow after all  :d

Depends what has seized and condition of other parts. It may only be the clutch that has bonded to the flywheel 

i would bang it on ebay there is always someone who will pay good money for a project ,

containers are about the worst place you can leave a car other than the bottom of the ocean , they hold and produce moisture , if the engine has seized then there will be other isssues and bad ones ,everything alloy will be bad also any bare metal etc will be rusty , pics speak a thousand words but it wont be nice after that long in a container

I hope you trust the person that told you it had seized. Surely the amount of moisture present has only given exposed surfaces a light coating. My own car had sat in a garage for 15 years untouched. It's got a few rusty bits but turns over. An engine strip-down is probably a safe bet with yours though. Never heard of a crossflow bored out to 1800cc, you learn something every day.

If the engine has seized due to high moisture content in the container, there's going to be rust elsewhere too that'll need dealing with. Have you seen it?

Crikey, if a registered car that needs work can fetch £1750 then I am jolly lucky with what I paid.

Doubt it has seized in the usual sense. Might be tempted to remove the plugs and fill bores with oil. Leave for a few days then try and turn it over.

you could have the curry Ive just had as that would un-seize anything…. Prawn Phal…..  :d

• Like 1

you could have the curry Ive just had as that would un-seize anything…. Prawn Phal…..  :d

You'll be humming Johnny Cash songs in the morning when you're ass is on fire....

I find it unlikely the engine itself would seize because of ambient moisture......

The battery will have been completely dead too (so im not sure how that conclusion was reached).

Did this person happen to offer to buy it from you??

As mentioned, the clutch is more likely, but also the handbrake almost certainly will have seized if you left that on and didn't use wheel chocks instead.

The front calipers are probably old M16s and will most likely have seized too, as they seem prone to water ingress to the pistons.

Take the handbrake off, bang it into 4th gear and rock the car back/forth until something gives way.

The coolant will have gone off too, requiring a full flush with a hose pipe and hot water, running the engine for a while and then flushing it again.

You'll also need to strip down the carbs, they'll be full of corrosion.

Literally everything I had to do to mine after 8 years in garage storage.

I'm with Terry the clutches size and bond together if left damp

Try plugs out in neutral turn crank with spanner, bet it turns over

Only take 30 mins to check then you will know where you stand

Starter might have sized also !

Either go and look yourself. Or if absolutely impossible, send someone you really trust, with NO agenda of their own...

I'm not saying engine's don't seize when stored poorly, but unless theirs some other problem, it's usually amongst the last things to go. If the rest of the car isn't showing signs of corrosion, it's usually unlikely that the previously oil coated engine innards will seize.

As others have said, brakes and clutch are likely problem areas. You may also find that the piston rings might have "stuck" a little. As Ash (Arm) said, a bit of (thin) oil down the bores, leave to soak in for a few days, then, if you can, either just try rocking the car gently in gear, or a spanner on the prop, see if it's freed.

FWIW, Ten years ago, I helped a friend recommission a crossflow car; it had been kept outside for five or six years, sometimes under a tarp, sometimes fully open to the elements. It had a frost damaged cylinder head which was lying in the boot box. The block was open to the elements, though the bonnet was on. In this case, the clutch wasn't stuck badly, a bit of rocking with the pedal down freed it up. The front callipers were U/S and needed replacing.

The engine started on the third or fourth go, after fitting the spare cylinder head and giving a general service. It wasn't even stuck on the rings!

Buy a aerosol can or two of Penetrating oil and spray into the spark plug holes, also get under the car and spray up into the clutch plate assembly.  Do this for two or three days, then try the above methods for freeing the clutch and manually turning the engine over.

Mind you after 6 years in a damp container the electrics will be in a terrible state.  Will be a major re-commissioning job.   If you have no intention of using the car yourself then just put it up on Ebay and this forum.  If you can get the clutch and engine turning then that will be a more attractive buy for someone.

Thank you for all the helpful replies.

It has been in the garage drying out for 3 weeks. The plugs are out and paraffin poured down but to no avail. The brakes were seized but are now free and the carbs have cleaned up too. Just the engine. I appreciate the comments but I don't think this guy is trying to rip me off.