Exhaust tail pipe angle

tisme

This may be a silly question, but is there any legal requirement (or etiquette) that dictates the angle of the tail pipe on a Westfield?

I have a 7inch SBD silencer with a 3 inch tailpipe and have added an extra support bracket / bobbin to give it more support but can't decide whether the tail pipe should exit parallel to the road or point down - and due to the spacing between the end cap retaining bolts then if it's not parallel, it points down at about 45-50% and looks a bit "wrong".

I appreciate if exit parallel, then starting up (tuned XE) next to the pavement and someone walking past may cause a few singed hairs :rolleyes:, but other than that anything else? 

Lyonspride

The down pointing exhaust used to be reserved for diesels, but a lot of petrol engined cars are now the same and I believe it's at least partly to stop water getting back up into the system if you drive though flood water. It first started appearing (IIRC) on French cars during the mid-90's, when catalytic converters became the norm....

Replacing a nearly new cat on warranty is not something that the major manufacturers want to see.

Mine is just slightly downward, enough to stop rain water getting in (if parked on uneven ground for example).

I went for about 30 deg downward angle, I think the main consideration for our cars is it's effect on noise readings.

Daniel

I found that with it at 45 degrees, it blows up the dust, which looks like smoke :cry:

Mines just below level, to keep the rain out.

I think there may be something in the MSA Blue Book, to stop exhausts sticking out beyond the widest part of the body, to stop you scything down innocent spectators.

I blow the leaves back onto the pavement. But for IVA the angle did make a very small change in noise levels.

Bob :d

pickmaster Andy Lowe

I had 45 deg down to cut noise but got covered in dust :(

It now points straight out no dust :)

I do live down a dirt track though

Pistol Pete

Msa reg is that it must be inside a line draw between the outside of the front and rear wheels.